Haag Hall , room 105
5120 Rockhill Road
Fax: (816) 235-5522
- Director: Brenda L. Bethman, Ph.D.
The mission of the Women’s Center at the University of Missouri-Kansas City is to advocate, educate, and provide support services for the advancement of women's equity at the University and within the community at large.
In support of this mission, the Women’s Center:
- Facilitates student development through co-curricular experiences that affirm students’ identities and foster leadership opportunities;
- Assists the University in achieving its retention goals by offering programming and services that promote student success;
- Recognizes, celebrates, and promotes awareness of the multicultural realities of women’s lives, particularly across race, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, class, age, and abilities;
- Develops women leaders by providing mentoring opportunities and leadership development programs;
- Develops and sponsors programming that enhances the skills of women and assists in their development as students, scholars, and professionals;
- Fosters awareness of the effects of gender roles on women and men;
- Builds alliances and promotes collaboration among University departments and community organizations to utilize existing resources to effectively serve a diverse community of women;
- Promotes the effective and constructive feminist activism of UMKC students, staff, faculty and community members;
- Serves as a resource for the campus and Greater Kansas City communities on issues related to women’s lives.
Violence Prevention and Response
The mission of the Violence Prevention and Response Project at the University of Missouri-Kansas City is to strengthen the University and community response to gender-based and sexual violence through victim support services, advocacy, training, education, and outreach to the campus and community.
The goals of the Violence Prevention and Response Project are:
- To unify campus resources through the coordination of existing services which address the issues of sexual violence
- To provide a safe place, referrals and information to those affected by sexual violence
- To assess campus needs for information and activities addressing sexual violence
- To participate in the creation and coordination of educational prevention programs about sexual violence