Admission to undergraduate programs is available in the fall, spring and summer semesters. Students can elect to attend classes full-time or part-time and although the majority of courses are offered during the day, courses are also offered in the evening. First-time college students are eligible to be admitted to the Bloch School if they meet regular UMKC entrance requirements. Those transferring from other institutions must have 2.5 cumulative and University of Missouri (UM) GPAs. Intra-university transfers can enter Bloch School programs with a 2.25 UM GPA.
Students in the bachelor of business administration (B.B.A.) or the bachelor of science in accounting (B.S. in accounting) programs are required to maintain a 2.25 cumulative University of Missouri GPA while enrolled in these programs. Students with GPAs that fall below the minimum 2.25 requirement are placed on probation and are allowed two successive semesters (including the summer semester, if enrolled) to restore their GPAs to the required 2.25. While on probation, undergraduates must achieve a 2.25 term GPA in order to enroll for the ensuing term. If a student's term GPA is below a 2.25 or, if after two successive semesters, the cumulative University of Missouri GPA is still below a 2.25, the student will be dismissed from the Bloch School. Good standing is achieved only if the GPAs are 2.25. A 2.25 average in all junior/senior in-major courses is required as well.
All students must pass the Written English Proficiency Test (WEPT) before enrolling in MGT 301 (Effective Business Communication). Information regarding the WEPT is given in the academic calendar and can be found online at http://cas.umkc.edu/writingcenter/StudentResources/wept.asp.
The B.B.A. and B.S. in accounting degrees will be awarded on satisfaction of the following:
- Completion of the degree requirements and a minimum of 123 credit hours.
- Achievement of a 2.25 GPA; satisfactory academic standing is based on:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.25 for all University of Missouri courses; and
- GPA of 2.25 for all required junior- and senior-level, in-major courses completed at UM schools.
- Completion of the final 30 consecutive semester hours of coursework at UMKC and 50% of junior/senior in-major courses.
- Completion of the Written English Proficiency Test, the ETS Proficiency Profile, the Major Field Assessment Test and other assessment exercises as assigned by the Bloch faculty.
- Filing of a required application for graduation at the beginning of the senior year.
Students are responsible for ensuring their course of study falls within program guidelines.
See the General Undergraduate Academic Regulations and Information section of this catalog.
For the policy on earning credit at another college concurrently with credit at UMKC, see the General Undergraduate Academic Regulations and Information section of this catalog.
Credit by Exam
Students who have received credit by exam from a previous institution must present certified scores to the UMKC Records Office. These scores must be acceptable to the department at UMKC housing the subject area. Credit by exam is not permitted after admission into the junior/senior portion of Bloch School programs. Bloch School freshmen and sophomore students should talk with an academic adviser in the Student Services Office about credit by exam restrictions.
All undergraduate courses in the Bloch School must be taken for a letter grade, except for internship courses (496) which are taken credit/no credit.
Course Repeat Policy
When undergraduate students repeat courses, they can request to have only the grade for the final attempt used in calculating their GPA. The course repeat policy will not automatically be applied to a student’s GPA. After completing a retaken course, a student must submit a request for GPA adjustment form to his/her academic adviser.
The recalculation of a student's GPA is reflected only in the calculation of that student's current cumulative UM GPA and will not retroactively affect calculations for dean’s list, graduation and honors, eligibility for financial aid and veterans’ benefits and scholarships, athletic eligibility, discounts for insurance, or any other area.
- The GPA recalculation policy is applicable only to undergraduate students who repeat a course in which they earned a D+ or lower and in which academic dishonesty was not involved.
- Students can only replace grades if the original and the repeated course are taken at UMKC.
- Repeated courses must have been taken by Fall 2007 or later.
- Repeated courses may not be taken on a CR/NC basis.
- Original grades cannot be replaced with a 'W', 'WF', 'I', or 'T.'
- No more than 15 semester hours can be dropped from the calculation of a student's GPA by repeating course work.
- Requests approved for GPA recalculation will prefix the original grade with an 'R.' Transcripts will note that such grades are excluded from GPA calculations.
Exceptions to academic regulations must be approved by the Bloch School Student Services Office or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. To seek exceptions, students must file a formal written petition seeking an exception to academic policy with staff in the Bloch Student Services Office.
Students are limited to a total of six hours of Bloch School internship/independent study coursework, numbering 496 and 497. Interested students should consult with an adviser in the Bloch School Student Services Office.