This program offers students an opportunity to meet the full requirements of the existing BS and MS degree programs in a shorter time period than the separate degree programs by completing a B.S. degree in Computer Science within four years and then completing an M.S. degree in Computer Science in their fifth year. Please contact our department for additional info or clarification on the information below, by calling (816) 235-1193, or sending an e-mail to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will begin with the existing undergraduate degree programs in the school. They will take the same classes as other undergraduates, carrying 15-18 credit hours per semester. If they continue to meet the requirements, they will be invited to take graduate level classes before they graduate with a BS degree. After graduating with a BS degree, they will continue with the graduate program.
Admission Requirements for Fast Track
Students must meet the following entrance requirements:
Students are expected to follow the recommended curriculum (although deviations are possible) and must maintain:
- High School GPA of 3.50 GPA (out of 4.00).
- ACT Math of 28 or higher.
- No single grade below C (2.00) in any coursework in STEM (Science, Technical, Engineering or Mathematics) fields from another college.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.00 in any previous college credit.
- Must start at UMKC/CSEE within one year of High School graduation.
Students are admitted into the graduate program in the spring semester of their fourth year. Upon successful completion of the first four years, the students will be eligible for an assistantship. The assistantship is renewable for the second semester of the fifth year only if they complete at least nine credit hours during their first semester with at least a 3.50 GPA.
- UMKC cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- A minimal course grade of 2.00 or higher for every course attempted in the CSEE department.
Credit Hour Requirements:
The BS and MS program in Computer Science requires:
- 120 Undergraduate Credit Hours,
- 30 Graduate Credit Hours, and
- 150 Total Credit Hours.
The academic requirements for both degrees are identical to the requirements for the two degree when considered separately, with a few additions and exceptions.
For additional details, please contact our Department by phone (816) 235-1193 or by e-mail mailto:email@example.com
- Students enrolled in the plan must maintain a 3.50 cumulative GPA for all UMKC coursework.
- Students must receive a minimum grade of C (2.0) in every course attempted in the CSEE Department.
- Students should follow the recommended sample program in order to graduate within five years, but variations are possible.
- The degree requirements for a BS in CS includes four CS advanced electives: (CS 420 or CS 421), (CS 470 or CS 371), plus two additional CS advanced electives. For students in the Fast Track, at least two of these four courses must be from the approved list of courses that graduate students can count towards their graduate studies, thus they must take (at least) two courses from from CS 411, CS 421, CS 423, CS 457, CS 458, CS 461, CS 470,CS 493 and CS 494R.
- Students must be admitted to the Graduate School in the spring semester of their fourth year.
- Upon successful completion of the first four years, the students will be eligible for a graduate assistantship.
- The degree requirements for the Fast Track M.S. in CS is identical to that of the M.S. in CS under the 'non-thesis' option, composed of the 30 hours of graduate credit in combination with the two courses taken as an undergraduate that were selected from the list above.