UMKC Catalog


CSEE Graduate Academic Regulations

For smooth completion of the degree program, a student must follow various academic regulations as described below.  Should a student want to switch from the MS in CS program to the MS in EE program (or vice versa), then the student needs to petition the graduate committee to have the record evaluated for admissibility.  The DICE award status will not be effected.  For information on financial aid, DICE awards and graduate assistantships please refer to the SCE Financial Assistance page.

A graduate degree indicates mastery of a coherent program in a chosen field and the ability to engage in creative projects in that specialty. The program of study is vital in assuring the completion of a formal program of study designed to ensure the mastery of specified knowledge and skills.

Forms for the program of study specification may be obtained from the CSEE Department Office. It is required that the program be approved by the student's graduate adviser and the graduate committe chair in the semester in which the student will complete 12 credit hours toward the degree, which is usually during the second semester of enrollment. It is then forwarded to the graduate officer for further approval and handling.

Once a program of study has been approved, it is the student's responsibility to ensure that all curricular requirements and prerequisites are satisfied. If a change in the approved program is needed, a petition must be submitted to the student's adviser who forwards it to the graduate committee for approval. It is not expected that more than four courses will change from the original program of study. If more than four courses are changed, then a new program of study should be filed.

Initially, the student will be advised by the academic adviser assigned to them during the first semester of enrollment. In order to enroll in any course, the student must have the signature of the adviser. No student can enroll without such a signature. If a student enrolls in a class without their adviser's signature or approval, that class may not count toward graduation requirements. Also see the section "Starting the Program".

In the semester that results in 12 hours of credit toward the master's degree, students should decide between a thesis option and a non-thesis option. If students decide on a non-thesis option, they should consult with their adviser and submit a plan of study for approval. If students decide on a thesis option, they should seek a thesis adviser, who then also becomes the academic adviser. The thesis adviser must be a full member of the graduate faculty and, in collaboration with the student, will then appoint two other graduate or associate graduate faculty members to be on the student's thesis committee. The thesis committee may consist of more than three members, but the majority of committee members must have full graduate faculty status. Again, a plan of study must be submitted for approval.

A graduate student enrolled in the fall or spring semester in nine or more credit hours is considered full time. A graduate student enrolled in the summer semester in five or more credit hours is considered full time. Any student enrolled in less than the above number of hours is considered part time. A student who is enrolled for six credit hours during a regular semester may be considered full time if the student has at least a quarter-time graduate assistantship. A student's academic load may be restricted as deemed fit by the student's graduate adviser or the CSEE master's committee.

International students will be required to take an English Proficiency Test administered by the International Student Affairs Office. Performance on the test may result in the requirement that the student take one or more English language courses during the first semester.

Students holding graduate assistantships should take a minimum of six credit hours during each of the fall and spring semesters and a minimum of three credit hours during the summer session. However, GA/GTA/GRAs who have completed all coursework and who are working on research need to enroll in only one credit hour. International students must abide by the requirements of the U.S. Immigration Service and should consult the International Student Affairs Office regarding this matter.

To remain in good standing, the student must enroll for at least one semester during each calendar year until all the courses in the program of study are completed. After this time, the student must be continuously enrolled each fall and spring semester until the degree is awarded. The student must be enrolled in the semester in which the degree will be received. Students working as graduate assistants during the summer must be enrolled during the summer semester. Failure to follow the above policies will result in a need to apply for new admission to the program under the degree requirements in effect at the time of re-admission.

The student must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA every semester. Deficiency courses, if any, must be passed with a B (3.0) or higher. A 400-level course in which the student receives a grade lower than B (3.0) can not be used to satisfy the degree requirements. Similarly, a 5000-level course in which the student receives a grade lower than C (2.0) can not be used to satisfy the degree requirements. However, all grades for courses taken for graduate credit shall be used in the calculation of the current GPA. No more than one grade below B (3.0) in a course taken for graduate credit can be applied toward the degree. If a student receives three grades below B (3.0) in courses taken for graduate credit or taken to fulfill a deficiency requirement, or if a student receives a grade below C (2.0) in a course taken for graduate credit or taken to fulfill a deficiency requirement, then the student will be ineligible to enroll.
A student enrolling in any UMKC course is expected to exhibit high standards of academic honesty in all works, and are expected to refrain from cheating and plagiarism. Rules governing any suspected violation are clearly spelled out elsewhere in the UMKC catalog ( Instructors are obligated to report any cases of alleged academic dishonesty, and any violation will result in sanctions being imposed on the student, ranging from a warning, probation, loss of financial aid, loss of privileges, suspension, and dismissal. Please note that both receiving and giving unauthorized assistance is considered academically dishonest.
Any exception to academic policy and regulations or to the degree requirements (e.g. deficiency waiver) must be requested through a written petition. The petition form is available from the CSEE Department Office and on the Web; the completed petition which includes an explanation for the petition should be submitted to the CSEE Department Office. The degree program coordinator or his/her designee will review petitions and communicate the result to the student. It is important that the petition include any necessary documents as attachments for a timely decision.

Ineligible students may petition the CSEE graduate committee to be re-enrolled. Such petitions will be reviewed by the graduate committee whose ruling is final. An ineligible student will only be approved for further graduate study under the terms of a restrictive probation in the form of a written contract between the student and the CSEE department. The CSEE department may render a student ineligible regardless of the student's GPA. Such procedures are rare and will involve a recommendation to the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

A graduate student should not take a course for audit if that student plans to take the course for credit. Once a course has been audited by a student, the student cannot take the course for credit later in the program.

A graduate student cannot change a course to audit after the eighth week of the fall and spring semesters or after the fourth week of the summer semester. Changes to audit status must have the permission of the course instructor, as well as be within the allowable period.