All applicants to the advanced education certificate programs (advanced education in general dentistry, endodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics, and periodontics) require the Postdoctoral Application Support Services (PASS) application available at www.adea.org . All sections of the PASS application should be completed fully. Official dental school transcripts and official national board scores should be submitted directly to PASS. Applicants applying to the Orthodontics program should additionally submit official GRE scores. Be aware that approximately three weeks are required by the service to process PASS applications and deliver them to the designated programs. The length of this processing period should be considered by the candidate in order to meet relevant application deadlines. An applicant copy of the PASS application should not be sent to UMKC.
All applicants are required to submit the Institutional Evaluation AND Personal Potential Index (PPI) as part of their completed PASS application. A minimum of three professional evaluators (dental faculty) are required to submit evaluations for the PPI.
Additional information, as identified below, must be submitted directly to the UMKC School of Dentistry, Office of Student Programs, 650 East 25th Street, Kansas City, MO 64108.
- Official transcripts from degree granting undergraduate and graduate institution(s). Additionally, if a large number of pre-dental prerequisites were taken outside the degree granting institution those transcripts should be submitted too. (Applicants do not need to submit dental school transcripts as they are provided to us through PASS).
- A copy of permanent resident card (if applicable).
- A copy of dental license (if applicable).
- UMKC application and UMKC application fee. Domestic student fee of $35 when applying online ( http://www.umkc.edu/apply/grad.asp ) ; $45 when submitting the paper application – check payable to ‘UMKC.’ International student application fee of $50 (www.umkc.edu/isao.) (Applicants who have enrolled and completed coursework as a degree-seeking student at UMKC are exempt from paying the application fee a second time, but still must complete a new UMKC application).
International applicants should additionally submit the following
- TOEFL scores (minimum of 550 on the paper test, 213 on the computer based test, 79 on internet based test) or a demonstrated proficiency in the English language (if English is not the primary language of the applicant).
- Financial statement (guarantee of full financial support or of sufficient financial resources for the entire cost of the program, including living expenses).
International applicants must have a U.S. or Canadian D.D.S. or D.M.D. from an accredited CDA or CDAC program to be considered for advanced education programs, except the programs in Oral Biology.
www.adea.org). There are two phases of the MATCH process, each with its deadline date for receipt of Rank Order List forms from applicants. The Phase I deadline (typically toward the end of November each year) is for applicants to the orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics program. The Phase II deadline (typically in the middle of January annually) is for those applying for admission to the oral and maxillofacial surgery program.
The graduate certificate programs in oral and maxillofacial surgery AND orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics participate in the National Matching Services (MATCH) process. Candidates to these programs must also register for this service within the ADEA PASS applicant portal (
General admissions questions concerning advanced education programs should be directed to the the Office of Student Programs at (816) 235-6322. However, specific questions regarding any advanced education program should be directed to the pertinent program director. Graduate program directors along with their telephone numbers are identified in a subsequent section.
Application deadline dates for graduate dental certificate programs are as follows:
|Advanced Education in General Dentistry
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
The deadline date for receipt of applications at the school is one year before the anticipated enrollment in program.