The course requirements for the program are not predetermined, but rather formulated by the student in consultation with the UMKC doctoral faculty who will serve on their supervisory committee, to meet the student's individual needs and research interests, satisfy discipline-specific requirements and assure upon graduation students are able to:
- Demonstrate appropriate depth and breadth of knowledge in their disciplines.
- Use skills of interdisciplinary scholarship and research to integrate multiple perspectives.
- Work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Effectively communicate results of their research to diverse audiences.
- Understand and value diverse approaches to problems.
- Use self-reflection for personal and professional improvement.