In 1895, three young lawyers with energy and vision, William P. Borland,
Edward D. Ellison and Elmer N. Powell, founded the Kansas City School of Law
with the active assistance of leading members of the bench and bar. Borland,
the first dean of the school, was elected to Congress in 1910 and was succeeded
by Ellison, who served as dean until the School of Law merged with the
University of Kansas City in 1938. After affiliation with the University of
Missouri System in 1963, the school assumed its present name as the University of
Missouri-Kansas City School of Law.