Research in analytical chemistry is focused on:
- Gas chromatography.
- Mass spectrometry.
- Fourier transform infrared, Raman and positron annihilation spectroscopy techniques.
Research in inorganic chemistry is focused on:
- Bioinorganic chemistry, including synthetic and mechanistic coordination chemistry of essential and toxic metal ions.
- Inorganic reactions including thermodynamic and kinetic aspects of metal-ligand interactions in aqueous and other media.
- Correlation of electronic structure calculations with experimental measurements.
- Bioinorganic chemistry of the heaviest metals.
- Development of new synthetic methodology to novel organic-inorganic hybrids.
- Polymer-silicate composites.
Research in organic chemistry is focused on:
- Synthesis and molecular architecture of bile acids and benzenoid hydrocarbons.
- Synthesis and physical studies of novel host-guest systems.
- Total synthesis of complex natural products.
- Development of new synthetic methods.
- Development of new scaffolds and reagents for combinatorial chemistry.
- Medicinal chemistry.
- Chemical biology.
- Synthesis and elucidation of natural products and antitumor agents.
- Biomimetic materials chemistry of cyclodextrin derivatives.
- Immobilized enzymes for "green" enantioselective catalysis.
Research in physical chemistry is focused on:
- Using infrared and Raman spectroscopy to determine molecular conformations.
- Developing infrared spectroscopic techniques for the analysis of environmental pollutants.
- Using ab initio and semiempirical computational methods to predict chemical and physical properties of interesting chemical species.
- Quantitative structure activity relationships.
- Physical and biological properties of dental materials.
- Characterization of electronic and free-volume properties in materials.
- Positron and positronium chemistry.
- Organic conductivity and superconductivity.
- Brownian dynamic simulation.
- Developing and using solid-state NMR methods for structural and dynamical studies of proteins and peptides.
Research in polymer chemistry is focused on:
- Synthesis of novel organic and organometallic polymers.
- Novel dendrimers and their applications.
- Core-shell nanoparticles as functional materials.
- Hybrid polymers for molecular electronics.
- Characterization of electronic/optical/photophysical properties of polymers.
- Study of free volume, phase transition, relaxation phenomena, and gas diffusion of polymers and polymer blends.
- Semiconducting polymers.