UMKC Catalog


General Graduate Academic Regulations - Requirements for Retention

Graduate Probation Policy

Graduate students, regardless of classification, must maintain a 3.0 (B) grade-point average in all coursework taken for graduate credit at UMKC and must meet any additional academic requirements imposed by the school, department or Interdisciplinary Ph.D. discipline. Students are responsible for keeping apprised of their academic status by referring to term grades and their permanent academic record on file in the UMKC Registration and Records Office.

Whenever the cumulative GPA for UMKC courses taken for graduate credit by a graduate student of any classification falls below 3.0, the student's status for the next term becomes: "On Probation - See principal graduate adviser." (Interdisciplinary Ph.D. students will be directed to consult their interim adviser or research adviser.) The principal graduate adviser, interim adviser or research adviser will review the student's progress and provide counsel, and the following conditions apply:

  • A graduate student on probation who is not restored to good academic standing by the end of two successive regular semesters following the term in which the cumulative GPA fell below 3.0 will be declared ineligible to re-enroll.
  • While on probation, a graduate student must achieve a 3.0 term GPA in order to enroll for the following term.
  • A graduate student on probation will not be restored to good standing until a cumulative graduate-credit GPA of at least 3.0 is achieved.

Ineligibility for Further Graduate Study

Ineligibility Following Academic Probation

In the case of ineligibility following academic probation, the graduate student may present a petition for re-enrollment to the principal graduate adviser of the student's academic program. Petitions will be reviewed by the graduate faculty member responsible for the student's degree program. That faculty member will make a written recommendation to the appropriate administrative levels within that academic unit approving or denying of the petition. The approval or denial action may include:

  • Approval for further graduate study in the student's current field of study and in the same classification but on a restricted probation basis (as defined in written contract).
  • Approval for further graduate study in the student's current field of study in a different student classification and on a restricted basis.
  • Denial for further graduate study in the student's current field but approval for undergraduate study only.
  • Denial for further study, either graduate or undergraduate, in the student's current field of study.
Ineligibility Due to Unsatisfactory Progress or Performance

When a department or school or Interdisciplinary Ph.D. supervisory committee, irrespective of a student's grade-point average, considers a graduate student's performance to be unsatisfactory, that department, school or committee may recommend to the dean or director of the academic unit in which the student's degree is housed that the student be reclassified or declared ineligible for further study. The dean or director reviews the recommendation and conveys a decision to the respective faculty group and the student.

Students in programs other than the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program who have been declared ineligible due to unsatisfactory progress or performance may appeal such decisions to the dean of the School of Graduate Studies, as designee of the chancellor. Students in the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program may appeal such decisions to the provost, as designee of the chancellor. Such appeals must be made in writing within 14 consecutive days after receipt of the notification to the student of the decision.

The decision of the graduate dean or provost, as the chancellor's designated representative in such cases, is final and will be communicated in writing to the following:

  1. The student
  2. The graduate faculty review group(s)
  3. The academic dean or director
  4. The registrar