- Teachers are committed to students and their learning. (Diversity, Core Concepts)
- Teachers recognize individual differences in their students and adjust their practice accordingly.
- Teachers have an understanding of how students develop and learn.
- Teachers treat students equitably.
- Teachers’ mission extends beyond understanding the cognitive capacity of their students.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach (Curriculum Design, Content Knowledge) and how to teach those subjects to students (Pedagogy, Technology in Instruction).
- Teachers appreciate how knowledge in their subjects is created, organized and linked to other disciplines.
- Teachers expose their students to different modes of critical thinking.
- Teachers teach students to think analytically about content.
- Teachers command specialized knowledge of how to convey a subject to students.
- Teachers generate multiple paths to knowledge.
- Teachers have knowledge of available curricular resources including technological innovations.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning. (Assessment, Pedagogy)
- Teachers call on multiple methods to meet their goals.
- Teachers orchestrate learning in small and large group settings.
- Teachers place a premium on student engagement.
- Teachers regularly assess student progress.
- Teachers are mindful of their principle objectives.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experiences. (Research, Reflection)
- Teachers are continually making difficult choices that test their judgment.
- Teachers seek the advice of others and draw on education research and scholarship to improve their practice.
- Teachers understand the importance of educational research, its relevance to daily classroom practice and justify practice based on sound research outcomes.
- Teachers are members of learning communities. (Professional Activism)
- Teachers contribute to school effectiveness by collaborating with other professionals.
- Teachers work collaboratively with parents.
- Teachers take advantage of community resources.