Your health and safety are just as important as your academic success.

It’s the university’s main priority to provide you a meaningful campus experience in the safest environment possible. We’ve been working with public health officials and medical experts to develop a comprehensive set of guidelines to help protect the health and safety of our community.

If you test positive for COVID-19:

UMKC has a notification process for students. Start with this step: 

  • Students: Call the Student Helpline, 816-235-2222.
  • After-hours: Call 816-235-COVI.

Do not visit campus or any public areas. Follow the advice of your health-care provider, cooperate with contact tracing with public health officials and continue to practice good health hygiene

Within four hours of your learning of your positive test, you need to start the process for notifying UMKC so we can notify campus of a positive case and begin necessary sanitization.

Your Academic Success

  • Academic advisors will be on campus and can meet with you in person or via Zoom.
  • If you need academic access and accommodations, contact UMKC Services for Students with Disabilities.
  • For connectivity issues, help setting up your email account or general technology  concerns, please contact the Information Services Technology Support Center, or 816-235-2000.

Your Engagement and Involvement

  • UMKC offices and departments will continue to hold events and provide students opportunities to engage in social activities. However, these activities will be structured to protect all members of the UMKC community.
  • Students will have the opportunity to get involved in student organizations.
  • Finally, we recognize that students may have ongoing concerns about the pandemic. If you have any questions about resources or campus policies, please call the UMKC Student Helpline at 816-235-2222.

Student FAQ

Are students required to be vaccinated?

Students who do not have direct patient contact are not required to be vaccinated.

I am a student who is employed by the university. Am I required to be vaccinated?

Students who are employed by the university are subject to the same requirements as other employees.

For information regarding the vaccination policy for employees, visit the Vaccines page.

What COVID-19 vaccination resources are available?

For information regarding on-campus and off-campus vaccine opportunities, visit our Vaccines page.

We have also instituted a voluntary system for students to upload their vaccination status to a university database, which you can access here.

UMKC faculty, staff, students and volunteers who have direct patient contact are required to be vaccinated.

Are masks required for UMKC faculty, staff and students?

For information on the latest masking guidance, please visit the Health and Safety page.

 Are there free tests available on campus?

To find testing availability on campus, visit

What other testing resources are available?

There are several options to receive a free COVID-19 test.

Click here to find testing availability through the Kansas City Health Department.

Click here to find testing availability through the Jackson County Health Department.

Testing can also be found through private pharmacies such as Walgreens and CVS.

Am I required to attend classes in person?

Our campus attendance policy outlines attendance expectations and excused absences. You are encouraged to communicate proactively with your instructors, should you need to miss class for any reason. If you have COVID-19 symptoms, even if mild, do not attend class and get tested using our free, rapid testing services at student health:

What if I am in a high-risk category and uncomfortable attending classes?

Students requesting COVID-related academic accommodations should contact Scott Laurent at 816-235-5696 or in the Student Disability Services office.

I am worried I've been exposed to COVID-19. What should I do?

If you have any concerns about exposure, please contact the UMKC Student Health and Wellness Center at 816-235-6133 or the Kansas City Health Department at 816-513-6008. Free, rapid testing is available and they will give you information on quarantine/isolation, based on the most up-to-date CDC guidance.

Will Student Health and Wellness be open? Are Counseling Services at UMKC still available?

Student Health and Wellness
  • Student Health is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mon – Fri.  and offers full in-person services.
  • Additional information can be obtained by calling 816-235-6133 or by visiting our website.

Counseling Services

  • We will continue to offer individual and Mind Over Mood Workshops via HIPAA-compliant Zoom to existing clients.
  • We will offer in-person crisis walk-in consultation at the UMKC Counseling Services office at 10 a.m. and again at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • During regular business hours please call the office at 816-235-1635 to arrange an Initial Consultation It is also helpful to call before coming for a Crisis Walk In Consultation so our office can help ensure staff are available.
  • If you are experiencing a crisis after hours or on weekends please contact The Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273, 911, or the UMKC Police at 816-235-1515. 
  • For additional updates and coping resources to deal with the stress and especially those stressors associated with COVID–19 please visit the Counseling Services website

Students, faculty and staff are reminded to use the free Sanvello app available to anyone with a UMKC email address and which can be downloaded from your cell phone. For additional updates and coping resources to deal with the stress associated with COVID–19 please visit the Counseling Services website

How does the Department of Homeland Security rule, requiring international students to take some of their coursework face-to-face rather than online, affect international students at UMKC?

UMKC will offer classes in multiple formats– face-to-face, hybrid/blended, and online – providing our international students with options to meet the requirements set by the U.S. government to remain in the U.S. and continue studying. All new international students on F1 visas are required to have at least one in-person class. We recommend that international students review their current enrollment with their academic advisor to be sure they are taking the right course options to remain in compliance. Please contact the International Student Affairs Office at with any questions.

As an international student, can I stay in my home country and take classes online?

Yes, international students outside the United States may take as many online courses as they wish. If you are maintaining your visa status while outside the US, you will be required to maintain full-time enrollment, so communicate with your academic advisor to determine online course availability to ensure you will be able to meet the enrollment requirement. If you do not yet have F1 status in the U.S. or will be re-entering the U.S. on a new I-20 in the future, you may enroll below full-time.

What are the quarantine guidelines for international travel?

Those who have received an FDA or World Health Organization (WHO) approved vaccine and are fully vaccinated (meaning 14 days past the last shot in the vaccination series) are not required to quarantine upon entry to the U.S. They are still recommended to get a COVID test 3-5 days after international travel. Testing is available free on campus. Self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days after travel and isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.

Nothing has changed for those who are unvaccinated. Their options remain to get tested on day 3-5 following entry and quarantine for 7 days after travel. If they choose not to be tested, they are required to quarantine for 10 days after travel.

As always, unvaccinated travelers should avoid being around those at risk for 14 days and report any onset of COVID-like symptoms that may occur during the 14 days following travel.

For more information about the university's liability, please see MO Senate Bill 51.

Are there vaccination and/or testing requirements for Residential Life students?

Residential Life students are required to provide documentation prior to move-in of either being fully vaccinated or having a negative COVID test from within 3 days prior to move-in. Fully vaccinated is considered to be 2 weeks past last shot. A scan or photo of documentation should be submitted by the student in the RooRez portal. If vaccinated, residents should also submit their card to the University.

Will guests be permitted in Residential Life?

Residents will be permitted to have guests. Guests must be escorted by their host at all times. Upon arrival residents will need to meet their guest at the Welcome Desk and sign them into the building. The guest will need to leave a photo ID with the desk while they are in the building. When the guest leaves, they will sign out of the building. 

Will community spaces be available in Residential Life?

Kitchens, study rooms, lounges, music practice rooms and classrooms will all be available for resident use. Due to equipment or location, some will require the resident to check a key out from the Welcome Desk.


Are there capacity limits on the Dining Hall and retail venues?

All retail locations will return to 100% capacity.  The Dining Hall will operate at 75% capacity to allow for additional distancing and flexibility.

Are there other precautions in place at Dining Services locations?

  • All locations will continue to operate with contactless entry and transaction.
  • The Dining Hall will continue to have gap times between service periods for proper cleaning and disinfecting.
  • BiteU by Sodexo will remain in place to allow students and plan holders to place orders, complete secure payment, and schedule pick up times at Einstein Brothers Bagels, Baja Fresh Express, and The Robot Café.

I am a veteran and I have questions about online courses. What should I do?

Please contact Eric Gormly, assistant director of Veteran Student Support Services (VSSS) at

I am having connectivity and technology issues, which is preventing access to online classes and coursework. Who should I contact?

Please contact the Information Services Technology Support, 816-235-2000.

What if I have limited access to the internet?

The University of Missouri system is working to help secure the resources students need. For more information on resources for internet access, check out this page.

What if I need access to software programs but I'm not on campus?

In order to better provide resources to those not on campus or using personal laptops we are introducing Roo Labs Online! This is a new service that will enable students to remotely access physical Windows lab computers from anywhere and from most computing devices. Students will have access to all standard and specialized software currently installed in the computer labs. 

You can find more information about Roo Labs Online here.

What about university-related travel?

University travel, domestic and international, will resume with people following all guidelines and restrictions according to the CDC. This includes study-abroad programs.

What are the quarantine guidelines for international travel?

Please visit the CDC for the most up-to-date guidelines for quarantine following international travel.