M.A./Ph.D. Counseling Practicum
The master's internship and advanced practicum are both approximately 16-20 hours per week for two consecutive semesters. Time off will be permitted for University scheduled holidays and professional development. The practicum experience enables the intern/student to meet the requirements for master’s internship or practicum as outlined by the Counseling Psychology and/or Clinical Psychology Department. A site supervisor evaluates the intern/student's work, and information collected is shared with the Training Director of the student's home academic program each semester. At the end of the training experience, trainees receive a certificate of completion.
Note: For students considering summer placement, the hour commitments are less, and more flexible during the summer semester.
Counseling Services reserves the right to terminate any practicum/master's degree-seeking student who receives unsatisfactory evaluations or who behave unethically or illegally. Counseling Services will determine the number of practicum/master's degree-seeking positions available each semester.
To receive placement in the master’s internship program or advanced practicum, student must:
- Have clearance from their department;
- Complete an application form including a resume and two letters of reference (e-mailed letters are accepted) from individuals who have advised or directly supervised the student’s clinical work; and
- Interview with the training director and other staff members.
Applicants will be provided with:
- A copy of hours and work expectations for master’s internship or advanced practicum; and
- Any information requested about Counseling Services.
- The availability of practicum/master's degree-seeking intern positions will be sent to the UMKC Counseling Psychology and Clinical Psychology departments.
- Individuals may inquire about the practicum/internship experiences at any time.
- Late applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis depending on available positions.
- The training director and staff will select practicum students/M.A. interns on an ongoing basis, but no later than within two weeks after the last completed interview deadline.
- All applicants will be informed of their selection or non-selection.
- The selected applicant(s) will need to provide proof of satisfactory completion of pending practicum experiences.