Exit Interview Instructions
Depending on the loans you accepted while at UMKC, you will need to complete one or more of the following exit interviews. You agreed to this condition when you signed your promissory note or notes. You should pay careful attention to the information provided. This will assist you in responsibly handling your loans and avoid falling into default.
You must follow the procedures outlined for your exit requirements to be fulfilled. Failure to do so will result in a hold on grades, transcripts and registration until such time as you have completed your exit interview session or sessions.
When your exits are complete, please email proof of completion to email@example.com. We will verify the completion of your exit(s) based off of the confirmation you email us and then remove your hold(s). Call our front desk at (816) 235-1346 if you have questions regarding your exit interview(s).
If you have made a request for your diploma or transcripts, and then received a denial message due to an exit interview hold(s), you will need to follow up with the Records Office at (816) 235-1125.
Direct Stafford/Grad Plus or FFEL Stafford/Grad Plus
To satisfy the requirements for your Direct Loan Stafford/Grad Plus or FFEL Stafford/Grad Plus exit interviews, please go to: http://www.studentloans.gov.
- Login with your FSA ID as directed and complete the Exit Counseling. If you do not have the new FSA ID, please click on the link to create one and follow the instructions.
- If you have received a Teach Grant, you must complete the exit counseling for it at this site, as well.
- When done, please forward the confirmation email to: studentloans@umkc. Please note: We do not get reports from studentloans.gov and it takes 48-72 hours for NSLDS to update.
Federal Perkins, Health Professions Loan and/or UMKC Institutional Loan exits are completed at our service provider’s website (Heartland ECSI): https://borrower.ecsi.net
Federal Perkins, Health Professions and UMKC Loans
Call our service provider, ECSI, to obtain a pin number if you do not already have one. They will email it to you. (Keep your pin number; you will need it to access your account in the future!) ECSI's Toll-free #: 888-549-3274
- When you have your pin number, go to ECSI's website
- Click the Sign In or Register button on the top right. Register if you have not previously, so that you can create a profile. You will receive a Success Message that your profile is created and can then sign in.
- The steps for navigating to the exit interview(s) are detailed in the Pathway communication on your account.
- Our school code is: S4
- There will be a link to pending exit interview(s). Work through each outstanding exit until you receive a confirming message that it is completed. Before the leaving the site, double check that all exits are done.
What does the Student Loan department do?
- We handle the promissory notes and repayment of Federal Perkins Student Loans, Health Professions Loans and University Long-Term Loans, as well as any Short-Term University Loans issued prior to June 1, 2003. Short-Term Loans issued after June 1, 2003 are handled by the Cashiers Office.
- Any information regarding financial aid awards is handled by the Financial Aid office. Information regarding the disbursement of financial aid is handled by either the Financial Aid office or the Cashiers office. The Registration office processes enrollment verifications if you are a current UMKC student and need proof for deferring loans with other schools or lenders. Contact them at 816-235-1125.
My loans should not be in repayment, but I just received a statement. Why?
- Our system sends out notifications that look like billing statements. Please refer to the "Amount Due", if it is $0.00 then this is simply a notification and not a bill.
- The text portion of this statement is what is important. If there is an amount due and you feel you should be deferred, contact our department at 816-235-1365.
Can I come into the office and sign my promissory notes?
- Once your promissory notes are issued, they will be mailed to the address you gave our Records Department.
- If you want to sign the notes in our office, you may call or come by the office and make that request.
- It usually takes 24 -48 hours after a request is made, for the notes to be ready for signature in our office if the notes have been ordered by Financial Aid.
Why is there a hold on my account?
There are several reasons why a hold may have been placed on your account. Please call 816-235-1365.
How do I find out who holds my Department of Education loans?
You can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.
How do I defer my student loans?
- The Student Loan department can process deferments on loans that are repayable to UMKC, such as Federal Perkins Student Loans or Health Professions Student Loans.
- If you do not have loans repayable to UMKC, such as Stafford Loans, you will need to contact your lenders.
When will my loan report to the credit bureau as delinquent?
Our system automatically reports loans as delinquent when they are 45 days or more past due.
When will a collection charge be assessed to my account?
- If no arrangements are made and your loan becomes 120 days or more past due, we may assess up to 25% in collection charges on your account.
- If you cannot pay your account - contact our office at 816-235-1365; in most cases, something can be worked out.
Do I have to complete an exit interview?
- If you received Financial Aid while at UMKC, you are required to complete an exit interview if you cease to attend UMKC at least half-time, even if you are planning to attend another University.
- If completing an exit interview online is not possible, ECSI can send you the forms necessary to complete the process by mail. Please contact ECSI at 888-549-3274.
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
5115 Oak Street #112
Kansas City, MO 64112
Cashiers and Student Loans Office
5115 Oak Street #112
Kansas City, MO 64110