Mail Services provides several services to the University: campus mail delivery, courier services between the UM campuses, parcel pick up/delivery, and bulk mail preparations.
Mail Services has four mail carriers delivering mail between 10:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The mail carrier brings a small USPS bag with departmental mail and picks up outgoing and inter-campus mail.
- Mail Services has placed 13 campus mail boxes in schools and buildings on campus. These boxes are for letter size mail only and all mail should be able to fit through the slot. Boxes placed on top of or beside the mail box will not be picked up.
- The mail is picked up daily between 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. with the exception of the Administrative Center building. Pick up for Administrative Center building is 3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- The 13 boxes are located in the following schools and buildings: Administrative Center (3 locations), Bloch School, Biological Sciences, School of Education, Flarsheim Hall, General Services Building, Health Sciences Building, Law School, Manheim Hall, Scofield Hall and University Center.
Mail Services provides Courier services among all UM campuses. The UMKC courier runs on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and all campuses within the UM System meet at the Columbia campus. The courier drivers exchange the previous day's mail and bring it back to their campus. This mail is then sorted and sent out the same day.
ADDRESSING AND HANDLING OF COURIER MAIL GUIDELINES
- Courier mail should have a complete address for the campus to which you are mailing.
- The words COURIER MAIL should be clearly written on the mail.
- If using a plain envelope, we request that you avoid three or more lines because such mail can be mistaken for US Mail pieces.
- Write out address parallel to short side of envelope to avoid confusion. This will enable us to identify the envelope.
- Courier service is available for the delivery of a wide range of items within the height and width limitations (approx. 3" x 8" x 9") and a maximum weight of 70 lbs.
- All mail received before 4:30 p.m. will be included in the next courier run.
- Our courier driver leaves at 7:00 a.m. and arrives back on campus at approximately 12:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
DELIVERY GUIDELINES FOR LARGE BOXES OR QUANTITIES OF MAIL
- Deliveries requested by 8:30 a.m. will be made by the end of the working day.
- Deliveries requested after 8:30 a.m. will be made in the morning of the following business day.
- Rush delivery requests have a $10 charge per delivery/location and will be handled within an hour of the request.
ITEMS THAT CANNOT BE DELIVERED BY DELIVERY SERVICES
- Furniture or any box marked "furniture"
- Computers (new or used)
- Bookstore purchases
- Packages improperly packed and sealed
- Boxes that cannot be stacked on a handcart
RATES (effective Oct. 1, 2007)
- KC dock to Columbia dock, no charge.
- KC dock to KC Campus Department, $1 per box/carton.
- KC Campus Department to KC dock, $1 per box/carton.
- KC Campus Department to KC Campus Department, $1 per box/carton.
- KC Campus Department to KC dock for shredding, $2.50 per box/carton.
- KC dock or KC Campus Department to off site location (American Microfilm), $3 per box/carton.
- Limit of five (5) boxes/cartons per delivery at $1 per box/carton; each additional box/carton at $2 each.
- Large item delivery, exceeds 40 lbs. or is larger than a standard copy paper carton (approx. 11.5" x 17.5" x 12"), $2.50 per box/carton.
To request a mail pickup, please submit a mail pick-up form.
Mail Services provides a variety of services to departments with large mailings and is responsible for the campus' non-profit permit account, which allows departments to send bulk mailings at reduced postage rates. A mailing of 200 or more pieces (absolutely identical in size and weight) may qualify for reduced postage rates.
Before sending large mailings, please contact Mail Services.
- De-Duping is available at no charge at the request of the customer.
- This service allows for the elimination of duplicate names and addresses using one of three methods. You may select to de-dupe by name, by address, or by name and address.
- It is important to remember that this service will not eliminate a name if one is "Robert" and one is "Bob" or if an address is 5100 Main St. and 5100 S. Main Street. The de-duping process only eliminates duplicates which are spelled exactly the same, including punctuation and abbreviations.
- If you want to send pieces of mail to multiple names at the same address (such as a law firm), then you should not select the option to de-dupe both name and address.
- Other services include labeling, inserting, tabbing, sorting, ink jetting, metering, package delivery, and delivery to USPS.
TIPS FOR BULK MAILINGS
- Request bulk mailing services online.
- Email mailing list to Mail Services in an Excel format
- Deliver all pieces for mailing at the same time
- All self-mailers must be tabbed closed
Please allow 3-5 working days for the processing of bulk mail requests. Rush projects will be accepted as necessary, but any additional charges will be the responsibility of the requesting department.
Mail Services no longer maintains any of the mailing lists for an individual department. Excel spreadsheets provide the best format to take advantage of any available discounts for bulk mailing projects.
- All outgoing mail must be received in the mail center by 2:00 p.m. for same-day processing and pickup by the USPS.
- The mail is picked up daily between 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. with the exception of the Administrative Center building. Pick up for AC building is 3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- The 13 boxes are located in the following schools and buildings: Administrative Center (3), Bloch School, Biological Sciences, Education, Flarsheim Hall, General Services Building, Health Sciences Building, Law School, Manheim Hall, Scofield Hall, and University Center.
All mail must be accompanied by a postage charge memorandum, which can be requested from Mail Services. Postage charge memorandums are used for tracking and maintaining accurate postage expenses. The three-part form is designed to provide proof of mailing, a record of postage charges and backup record which is maintained by Mail Services.