TIPS ON TEEN DRINKING
Recommendations from the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University for parents to deal with underage drinking:
- Set rules and expectations and enforce consequences.
- Eat dinner together.
- Monitor television viewing, Internet use and CD purchases.
- Know your children's friends and where they go.
- Send clear messages about alcohol use.
- Discuss problems caused by underage drinking.
- Give your children perspective on media messages.
- Don't show children that it takes a drink to relax.
- Don't accept underage drinking as a rite of passage.
- When your child needs help, get treatment fast.