- Learning Management
- Communication & Collaboration
- Data Capture
Options for Proctored Exams at UMKC
Proctored exams are tests where students are monitored in some way while taking the exam. Traditionally, proctored exams are done under direct supervision of the course instructor, or in a testing center. However, it may not be possible for students to travel to a designated test location, especially if the course is held entirely online.
Face-To-Face Test Proctoring
Optical Scanning Services
Instructors can use bubble-type scan sheets to conduct exams in the classroom. Scan sheets are available for purchase through the UMKC IS Call Center. After the test, the sheets can be delivered to Optical Scanning Services for processing. Specific information about using scan sheets for testing cam be found at http://www.umkc.edu/is/intapps/oso/Test-Scanning.asp.
Assessment and Training Center (http://online.umkc.edu/faculty/assessment-and-training-center/)
UMKC has a dedicated room that instructors can use to schedule and proctor their computerized exams. The Assessment and Training Center is a 36-seat room set up in a computer-lab style. If you have more than 34 students in your course, we have an online reservation system that students can use to reserve a specific testing time. Your tests will be set up in the system at the beginning of the semester, and your instructor login and link for your students will be provided within the first three weeks of the semester. We schedule 34 seats for each testing instance to ensure that if a computer malfunctions, the student can move to another one that is working properly.
As an example, if your class has 150 students, and your test takes 50 minutes, you should schedule at least 5 hours for each of your tests. This represents 170 seats for each test instance. If you start allowing students to take the exam at 8:00am, you would end the test session at 1:00pm. It is the instructor's responsibility to find a proctor for the room for the duration of the test session.
There are specific conditions associated with scheduling a test in the Assessment and Training Center:
- Test dates that are scheduled in the Center are first-come, first served - please schedule your dates in advance.
- Test proctoring is the responsibility of the instructor (a faculty member or representative) who schedules the test - you must provide your own live proctor, as one is not provided by ITS or UMKC Online.
- Once the test dates are scheduled, the instructor will be sent a four-digit code which will open the door and deactivate the alarm.
- The instructor must re-alarm the room upon exit. Instructions describing how to alarm the room will be sent to the instructor when the test dates are confirmed.
- The instructor must ensure that there is no eating or drinking in the Center.
- In case of difficulties acessing the room, with computers in the
room, or related to Blackboard, instructors/proctors can contact the
designated group for assistance:
- Blackboard support: 816.235.6700 - ITS Help Desk
- Computer issues: 816.235.2000 - IS Call Center
- Room issues: 816.235.6595 - UMKC Online
To request test dates for your course, please contact Marcia Roberts at email@example.com.
ExamSoft is a cloud exam management solution that allows faculty to administer online exams while restricting access on those devices to the Internet or other networked resources. During the exam period, the test taker's computer is restricted to accessing the test only. The test taker's device cannot communicate with the Internet or run other applications (unless permitted). Once a test is submitted, all communications and programs on the device are unlocked and restored. ExamSoft exams are fully encrypted and can only be access using the ExamSoft client application.
ExamSoft is not a proctor tool, in that while the student's computer is restricted during the exam, the student's environment is not monitored. Therefore, we recommend using ExamSoft in conjunction with a live proctor, in an on-campus classroom.
There is no campus licenses for ExamSoft, and use is restricted to the specific campus schools that have purchased it. If you would like more information about ExamSoft, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Respondus Monitor is a companion product for Respondus LockDown Browser that offers students the ability to take an online exam remotely in the location of their choosing, with the test session being recorded for later review by instructors. Monitor serves as an alternative to live proctoring, while still helping to protect the integrity of online assessments at UMKC.
Starting January 1, 2017, Respondus Monitor is available for use in Blackboard by any instructor that requires LockDown Browser for an online assessment. If instructors choose to use this proctoring option, students must purchase Respondus Monitor upon first use in a course. The cost of Respondus Monitor to students is $10 per semester, per course
Respondus LockDown Browser must be installed on the student's computer, along with a working webcam and optional microphone, in order to use Respondus Monitor. If use of Monitor is required with an exam, Monitor makes an audio/video recording of the exam environment as the student takes the test. Instructors can later choose to review details of the exam (specific frames the software flags as potentially suspicious), or watch the entire session.
How it works:
- Students start Respondus LockDown Browser, log into Blackboard, and complete a brief set-up process (webcam check, photo ID, environment check if required) prior to the start of the exam.
- The student and surrounding environment are recorded during the entire exam.
- Recording stops when the exam is submitted.
- Instructors can quickly review details of the exam, or watch the entire session.
- $10 per student, per course, payable by the student. This cost covers as many exams as are required in the course.
- Payment for Respondus Monitor is made during the set-up process when starting the first Respondus Monitor enabled exam of the course.
- To set up and pay for Respondus Monitor:
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser
- Navigate to the exam
- Complete the set-up process, which includes a payment screen for entering credit card information
- Payment and entering credit card information is only necessary one time per course
More information about Respondus LockDown Browser can be found in the UMKC Knowledgebase. Search for Respondus, or ask a question about how to use Respondus. If you have questions about Respondus Monitor, please contact ITS at email@example.com.
While Panopto is designed as a lecture-capture tool, it can be used for remote test proctoring when used in conjunction with Respondus Lockdown Browser. Once students have downloaded and installed the Panopto Recorder and Respondus Lockdown Browser, they launch the recorder and begin recording before accessing their exam using Respondus Lockdown Browser. Panopto continues recording their environment while they take the exam. Once the exam has been submitted, students stop the recording and upload it to Panopto's Assignment Folder for the course.
Additional information about Panopto's Assignment Folders can be found here.
For more detailed information about Panopto's use for test proctoring, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Live Online Proctoring with Examity
UMKC has contracted with Examity to provide live online test proctoring. The service costs $15 per hour for the first hour, and $7 per hour for each additional hour. So, a two-hour exam would cost $22.
Students are responsible for proctoring fees, and they pay with a credit card when they schedule the exam in the Examity web portal.
Instructors will need to add instructions and projected student costs to the syllabus and Blackboard course, and will schedule their exams in the Examity web portal.
Students will set up a profile with Examity, schedule a time to take the exam, and complete the exam with a remote live proctor at the agreed-upon time. Students will need both a webcam and microphone for this process.
These FAQs provide more information:
- Examity Instructor FAQ: http://examity.com/faqs-instructors/
- Examity Student FAQ: http://examity.com/faqs-students/
If you are a UMKC instructor interested in using Examity for your online exams, please contact UMKC Online at email@example.com.