Research Managed Backup Storage
The Research Managed Backup Storage (RMB Storage) service has been designed for researchers with a need for large amounts of long term backup storage with cost as a primary consideration.
1. The storage is only accessible via rsync over ssh or sftp.
2. Storage is limited to DCL1 and DCL2 research data. Administrative, commercial, and personal data is prohibited.
3. Storage is allocated in blocks and each storage block has its own quota mount point.
4. Storage blocks are prepaid in full in 1TB increments for 5 years. The FY18 rate is $120/1TB/60 Months.
5. Storage capacity is expanded in large increments (100TB). Depending on available capacity, requests for storage blocks may be delayed while additional storage is procured and installed.
6. The storage blocks expire after 5 years. Users must either purchase another storage block and transfer data to the new storage system, transfer data to another system, or do nothing and the data will be destroyed. No automatic data migration services are provided, and users are responsible for the data integrity of moved data.
7. Storage blocks may be expanded depending on available capacity. The storage block will retain the same expiry date as the original block and cost of the expansion will be pro-rated.
8. Storage is based on ZFS and provided on a single server and single volume basis with no high availability (HA).
9. There are no backups of the data. The data storage system is resilient to multiple disk failures (parity) and we do our best to protect the data but are not responsible for any data loss.
10. Storage is transferable but is not refundable.