IS Exchange Mailbox Policy
An Exchange Mailbox:
- Can only be issued to current UMKC Faculty and Staff
- Faculty and Staff that are no longer employed with the University are not guaranteed access to their mailbox after their termination date
- A first notice will be sent by Information Services to the account in question to notify the user that their mailbox will be deleted within 14 days.
- A second notice will be sent by Information Services to the account in question to notify the user that their mailbox will be deleted within 7 days.
- At the end of the above 14 day period, the mailbox will be deleted without any additional notification.
- Users may appeal the mailbox deletion process by responding to the first or second notice emails listed above within the 14 day period. Additionally the appeal must provide justification based on one of the following criteria:
- Courtesy Extensions - Maximum extension period of 30 days. Accounts will be deleted at the end of the 30 day period without any additional notification.
- Collaborators - Users who are collaborating with current faculty or staff may request a temporary extension of six months. If you are requesting an exemption under this category, you must also have the person you are collaborating with send the IS administrator an email at this address verifying the same. At the end of the six month period, users will be sent a new deletion notification.
- Emeritus Faculty - Mailbox will be retained indefinitely.
- Retirees - Retirees may request retention of their existing mailbox (within 30 days of their retirement date) or request a new mailbox by completing this form.
- Sponsored Accounts - Departments may sponsor mailboxes for individuals that are not current UMKC Faculty and Staff at a cost of $35 per year. Fiscal officers may contact the IS administrator with a MoCode to request the same. At the end of the sponsoring period, the user will be sent a new deletion notification.
- Potential rehire of a former employee – Maximum extension of one year. At the end of the one year period, the user will be sent a new deletion notification.
Note: Mailboxes that are currently under appeal will not be deleted until your request has been reviewed and we have informed you of our decision via an email to your UMKC account.