Adobe Creative Cloud, previously Creative Suite, is a collection of applications developed by Adobe Systems for creating PDF documents, graphic design, collaborative design, video editing, web development, 2D/3D rendering, mobile app design, and photography.
How will the Coronavirus impact student use of Adobe software?
UMKC has taken special action regarding Adobe software in response to the Coronavirus. Several of these initiatives were made possible by temporary accomodations provided by Adobe, which are expiring as UMKC prepares to resume normal operations.
- During reduced campus operations, Adobe Creative Cloud software was available to students in the UMKC Remote Labs. Adobe sponsorship of this option is ending July 6 and students will no longer be able to access the Adobe Remote Lab. As UMKC moves forward with campus repopulation, Adobe Creative Cloud software will once again be available for free to students in several on-campus computer labs.
- Beginning March 13, Adobe offered free temporary Creative Cloud subscriptions all UMKC students. These temporary subscriptions expire July 6. However, students currently enrolled in Summer courses can have their instructor ask for an extension valid until August 15 to enable completion of coursework.
- UMKC students are eligible to purchase personal Adobe subscriptions with a student discount. This requires the creation of a personal AdobeID, students can not use existing AdobeIDs used to activate the free temporary licenses, and support is not provided by UMKC.
Can I use a UMKC Adobe license on my personal or home computer?
Your temporary UMKC Adobe subscription permits you to use Creative Cloud on your personal computer.
- Download the Creative Cloud Launcher directly from Adobe.com.
- Run the downloaded file while logged in with your computer's administrator account.
- Review the section below on 'how to login' with your free temporary subscription.
- After successfully logging in, click Start Installing.
- When the initial installation is complete, Creative Cloud Desktop should open automatically.
- Browse the list of available apps and click Install for each app you need to use. A progress bar will appear for each app you choose to install.
- When each app is ready for use, a button labeled Open will appear.
- On Windows computers, installed apps will be added to your Start Menu.
What if I share a computer or have a low powered computer?
Adobe software may not install or may run poorly if your computer is old or underpowered. Before installing Creative Cloud, please review Adobe's System Requirements.
How do I login to Acrobat or Creative Cloud Apps?
The first time you launch a Creative Cloud app you will be prompted to Login with an AdobeID. Enter your UMKC Username followed by “@umsystem.edu”. You do not need to enter a password yet.
You will not be able to access your free temporary student Adobe Creative Cloud subscription if you sign in with a personal AdobeID or login as firstname.lastname@example.org. You must use @umsystem.edu.
You will be prompted for an account type. Choose "School Account."
Enter just your UMKC username on this screen (not a full email address). Enter your UMKC Password. Click Login.
Does Adobe Creative Cloud require a network connection?
Every time you launch an Adobe Creative Cloud app it will verify if you can connect to the Internet. If you are offline certain services and features will be unavailable. If you remain offline for 30 days, you will be unable to open any Adobe Creative Cloud apps.