The following page(s) contain instructions on using Remote Desktop to connect to Faculty & Staff Windows computers on the UMKC campus (from off-campus). Your campus computer must be powered on to receive connections.
Linux Remote Desktop Connection Instructions
Please note: These instructions reflect a system running Ubuntu 17.04 and Remmina 1.2. If you are using a different connection application or distribution of Linux the dialog boxes will vary slightly, but the procedure will remain similar.
Instructions to install Remmina 1.2 on Ubuntu 17.04
- Depending on your environment, you may need to uninstall old versions of Remmina first
- Open a Terminal window
- Execute sudo apt-add-repository ppa:remmina-ppa-team/remmina-next and confirm the choice
- Execute sudo apt-get update and confirm the choice
- Execute sudo apt-get install remmina remmina-plugin-rdp libfreerdp-plugins-standard and confirm the choice
- Reboot your computer
If you have not recently connected to this computer there will be a delay as your profile is created. This is normal.
- Open Remmina
- Click the green +
- Next to Name, enter the name of the remote computer. Or check How to find my computer name
- Change the protocol to RDP
- Next to Server, enter the name of the remote computer
- Next to User Name, enter your UMKC Username
- Next to password, enter your UMKC password
- Next to Domain, enter UM-AD
- Click the Advanced tab
- Next to RD Gateway server, enter tsg.umkc.edu **if you have trouble connecting with these instructions, substitue a VPN for this step
- Click Save
- To open the remote desktop session, double click the entry with the name of the remote computer
- If prompted to accept a certificate, click OK
You are now connected!