The following page(s) contain instructions on using Remote Desktop to connect to Faculty & Staff Windows computers on the UMKC campus (from off-campus).
Attention: Your campus computer must be powered on and you must also have rights to access your computer remotely. You must also follow these steps (one time only) to ensure your campus computer is ready to accept Remote Desktop connections. If you need assistance, please contact the IS Call Center or your IT Liaison.
Linux Remote Desktop Connection Instructions
Please note: These instructions reflect a system running Ubuntu 17.04 and Remmina 1.2. If you are using a different connection application or distribution of Linux the dialog boxes will vary slightly, but the procedure will remain similar.
Instructions to install Remmina 1.2 on Ubuntu 17.04
- Depending on your environment, you may need to uninstall old versions of Remmina first
- Open a Terminal window
- Execute sudo apt-add-repository ppa:remmina-ppa-team/remmina-next and confirm the choice
- Execute sudo apt-get update and confirm the choice
- Execute sudo apt-get install remmina remmina-plugin-rdp libfreerdp-plugins-standard and confirm the choice
- Reboot your computer
If you have not recently connected to this computer there will be a delay as your profile is created. This is normal.
- Open Remmina
- Click the green +
- Next to Name, enter the name of the remote computer. If you are unable to determine the name of your campus (office) computer, contact the IS Call Center or your IT Liaison
- Change the protocol to RDP
- Next to Server, enter the name of the remote computer
- Next to User Name, enter your UMKC Username
- Next to password, enter your UMKC password
- Next to Domain, enter umkc-users
- Click the Advanced tab
- Next to RD Gateway server, enter tsg.umkc.edu **if you have trouble connecting with these instructions, substitue a VPN for this step
- Click Save
- To open the remote desktop session, double click the entry with the name of the remote computer
- If prompted to accept a certificate, click OK
You are now connected!