Windows 7, Vista, and XP do not support the modern security standards required for using Remote Desktop with UMKC PCs. You cannot connect from these Operating Systems to UMKC computers. If your UMKC computer is still running these unsupported versions, please contact the IS Technology Support Center or your IT Liaison to update your system to Windows 10 so you can use Remote Desktop.
How to find your computer name for Remote Desktop
Easy method (Faculty/Staff Only)
- Find your UMKC computer name on the Online Portal
- Login with your UMKCusername@umsystem.edu and UMKC Password.
- Review the list and select the desired computer.
- You have Remote Desktop rights to all computers in this list. You do not need to manually request access.
- Physically go the the computer you want to use for Remote Desktop and login.
- Right Click on the Start Button
- Select System
- Write down the Device Name or Computer Name
- Verify access
- Faculty/Staff: If you have physically logged into the computer in the last 90 days, you will have Remote Desktop access. Additonal access requests can be submitted to the IS Technology Support Center or your IT Liaison.
- Students: You cannot request access for yourself. Remote Desktop permissions requests must be submitted by your Faculty sponsor on your behalf.