Some of the latest frequently asked questions and information about email at UMKC can be found here. If you can't find the answer you are looking for, please visit ithelp.umkc.edu.
Why is there a new email policy?
In 2021, UM System is updating the email management policy to provide email services in support of the missions of the University while also reducing associated risks. The new policy is aimed to guide our community in using email more safely and securely. The full policy can be viewed on the UM System Email Use and Management Procedures Page.
What is changing?
The new policy codifies eligibility for email services, sets retention periods on specific email folders, and prohibits the automatic forwarding of email to non-university email accounts.
When will the new policy take effect?
Modernizing email is an ongoing project, and UM System will continue to launch new security measures that will help address or eliminate the presence of sensitive data. You'll receive information and guidance as changes that may affect your day-to-day work are implemented. No email-related technology changes will be made until they have been communicated with affected users.
Which email will be deleted automatically?
- Inbox: All emails in an “Inbox” will be automatically deleted five years after receipt. Emails that need to be retained longer than five years must be moved to a subfolder in the user’s mailbox, an appropriate file storage location or transferred to a “system of record.”
- Sent Items: All emails in a “Sent Items” folder will be automatically deleted five years from the date of creation. Emails that need to be retained longer than five years must be moved to a subfolder in the user’s mailbox, an appropriate file storage location or transferred to a “system of record.”
- Deleted Items: All emails in a “Deleted Items” folder will be automatically deleted 30 days from the date the email was deleted. The Deleted Items folder is not an appropriate file storage location for important emails.
- Capstone Emails: Individuals in key positions (e.g. presidents, chancellors, provosts, etc.) will have permanent retention of their email accounts for historical purposes and their email will be transferred to archives after termination of employment.
How can I keep the email I need?
Email that are in subfolders or folders other than Inbox, Deleted Items, and Sent, are not subject to the retention policies and will not be deleted automatically. Messages should be saved only if they are records. Examples of non-record emails are:
- Resources material – material that has been created or received for reference purposes
- General routine department business correspondence – messages that have short-term administrative or operation value used to provide information or for the completion of a request or action such as:
- routine requests for information
- meeting notices and reminders
- administrative notices
- invitations and responses
- interoffice activities
- “while you were out” messages
- Draft documents
- Courtesy copy (CC'd) informational messages – messages you receive to keep you informed on a matter, but you do not need to act on.
My email is automatically forwarding to a non-university email account, how do I turn that off?
Email forwarding settings can be found in the Outlook Web Access settings. To turn off mail forwarding:
- Log into Webmail
- Click the settings cog in the upper right corner
- Click View all Outlook settings
- From the Mail setting menu, click Forwarding.
- Verify the Enable Forwarding box is unchecked.
What is the Focused Inbox in Outlook?
In Outlook, you may notice the Focused Inbox. Focused Inbox separates your inbox into two tabs - Focused and Other.
Email messages deemed most important by Outlook are on the Focused tab. The rest remain easily accessible, but out of the way, on the Other tab.
How do I expand the Ribbon in Outlook?
Your Outlook view may default to the Simplified Ribbon, showing less information at the top of the applicaiton.
To switch back to the Classic Ribbon, click the down arrow in the lower right to switch between Ribbon types
How do I get help?
If you have questions, need to report an IT issue, request a new IT service, or require additional help please visit ithelp.umkc.edu