Detailed Linux VPN Instructions
Please note: These are the basic settings required for any version of Linux. If you are using a different distribution of Linux the dialog boxes will vary, but the procedure will be similar. Step-by-step instructions for specific builds are not provided by UMKC.
You will need PaloAlto Global Protect Client
- Download the Global Protect Client from: https://www.umkc.edu/is/support/services/vpn/linux/PanGPLinux-6.0.1-c6.tgz
- Open a shell window, go to the folder you saved the file, and Execute: tar -xvf ~/pkgs/PanGPLinux-6.0.0.tgz
- For Debian and Ubuntu Execute: sudo apt-get install GlobalProtect_UI_deb-184.108.40.206-6.deb
- For CentOS and RedHat Execute: sudo yum install -y GlobalProtect_UI_rpm-220.127.116.11-6.rpm
- The app should then launch, when prompted use the below settings
- Gateway or Portal: weblogon.umkc.edu
- Username: UMKC username in firstname.lastname@example.org format
A VPN connects your device to the UMKC network. This means it is visible to the world as part of the UMKC network which exposes it to the same threats as any device on the campus. These may include attempts to gain unauthorized access to your machine. Your device's vulnerability is determined by the security settings, policies and behaviors you employ in the use and management of the device. It is your responsibility to protect your device from unauthorized access.