Registration and Records


This page contains information on:

General advising information

All students new to UMKC are required to meet with an adviser prior to registering for classes. Depending on your major, you may be required to meet with your academic adviser prior to registering each semester. New freshmen are required to go to orientation.

Adviser release for registration, click here

If advising is required for you, you will have an academic advising hold in Pathway. Your adviser can remove this hold after you have met with them. Make sure you meet with your adviser prior to your assigned priority registration date. If you have more than one major, you may be required to meet with multiple academic advisers to have all of your advising holds removed.

Consent course approvals, click here

Many courses require special consent for enrollment. See the department so your student ID can be input in Pathway to allow you to register for the course.

Academic probation, click here

Students are expected to maintain a grade point average that meets or exceeds the minimum as established for their degree program. If a student’s GPA falls below the minimum, the student will be placed on some form of probation or will become ineligible for further study at UMKC. If a student becomes ineligible, they may petition to their academic unit for continued enrollment or to another academic unit for acceptance. Each academic unit establishes the minimum GPA necessary to be in good academic standing and determines what form of probation is appropriate for students who are not in good standing. Students are responsible for knowing the GPA requirements of their academic unit. For more information about academic probation, contact an academic adviser in the appropriate academic unit. Students on probation must get advising before registering for classes.

Administrative holds, click here

UMKC will apply administrative holds on students’ accounts when students owe UMKC past due balances or any form of debt (such as library books, traffic and parking fines, etc.). These holds may prevent students from registering for classes until debts are settled. Administrative holds also are applied for some non-financial reasons (such as academic ineligibility, disciplinary actions, missing admissions documents, etc.). You can view which office has applied an administrative hold in the Pathway Student Self-Service Center.

Overloads, click here

For undergraduates, a program of 18 or more semester hours constitutes an overload and requires an adviser’s approval. For graduate students, a program of 12 or more hours constitutes an overload and requires approval by the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Academic Advising offices

College of Arts and Sciences, click here

CAS Student Services Office:

Scofield Hall, Room 9
711 East 51st Street
Kansas City, MO 64110

All undergraduate students are encouraged to seek advising before registering for classes each semester. CAS Student Services sees undergraduate students either by appointment or walk-in. Hours for the CAS Student Services are:

By appointment:

Schedule through Connect (in Blackboard) or by calling 816-235-1148

Monday 9 a.m. –  5 p.m.

Tuesday 9 a.m. –  5 p.m.

Thursday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

By walk-in on "Walk in Wednesdays":

Wednesday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Sign-ins may cut off before 2 p.m., depending on the level of student traffic.) Please note that CAS Student Services may offer advising only on walk-in basis during the busiest times of the year (around the beginning of classes and registration for each semester) in order to meet the high demand for advising. Also, CAS Student Services is closed for all major holidays and occasionally for University business (in-services or University events like new student orientations). Please call 816-235-1148 to check on any changes from the regular schedule.

Arts and Sciences students on probation:
If you are on academic probation, you must be advised in Scofield Hall, room 9, before you will be released for registration. This advising cannot be completed by telephone. Call 816-235-1148 for more information.

Students who are required to see an adviser and have an adviser’s release before they can register include:

  • New students;
  • Students with fewer than 45 credit hours;
  • Chemistry majors, physics majors, studio art majors, freshmen theatre majors (must meet with Major advisor in A&S Department)
  • Pre-law majors with a GPA lower than 3.0;
  • Students on academic contract or probation;
  • Students requesting overloads, audits, credit/no credit option; and
  • Graduate students in chemistry, English, geosciences, sociology and theatre (go directly to department for advising and approvals.)

Students who have chosen a major should contact their department faculty adviser for an appointment.

Click here for a list of A&S departmental advisors and here for a list of CAS Academic Advisors.

New undergraduate transfer students should go first to Scofield Hall, room 9 for an evaluation of transfer work.

Additionally, students interested in the following areas should contact:

Pre-law, Pre-medicine, Pre-dental, Pre-health
Nick Chappell
Pre-law and Pre-health Advisor
9 Scofield Hall
Phone: 816-235-5874

Henry W. Bloch School of Management
115 Bloch
Phone: 816-235-2215

School of Education
129 Education
Phone: 816-235-2234

School of Computing and Engineering
546 Flarsheim Hall
Phone: 816-235-1193

Applied Language Institute
Monica Mingucci, Director
5301 Rockhill Road
Phone: 816-235-1233

Bloch School of Management, click here

Bloch School Student Services Office

115 Bloch School

Undergraduate Advising

The Bloch School Student Services Office advises all undergraduate accounting and business students. We also help students pursuing the business and entrepreneurship minors enroll in courses appropriate to their program.

Students with freshman and junior standing are required to be advised prior to enrollment. Students on academic probation and students new to UMKC must also be advised before they can enroll. For sophomore and senior level students advising is optional, but recommended.

Walk-in Advising hours for undergraduate students:
Wednesday 9-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m.

Undergraduate Advising by Appointment:
Appointments are available Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at 5 and 5:30 p.m. and on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday between 9-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m. Call 816-235-2215 to schedule an appointment.

Graduate Advising

Master of Science in Finance students are advised by staff in the Bloch School Student Services Office.  Graduate advising in the Student Services Office for MSF students is by appointment only. Please call 816-235-2215 to schedule. 

Master of Business Administration students are advised by Jewel Madsen.
Jewel Madsen

Master of Science Entrepreneurial Real Estate students are advised by Dr. Jim DeLisle and Professor Chuck Connely.

Dr. Jim DeLisle

Professor Chuck Connely

New students must meet with an advisor prior to enrollment. Beyond the first semester, advising is optional. Students on probation or who have been admitted on academic contract are also required to meet with an advisor before enrolling.

Students pursuing the Master of Public Administration degree are assigned a faculty advisor at the time of admission to the program. This faculty member will advise the student during their time in the program. New students as well as those on probation or admitted on academic contract must be advised prior to enrollment. Staff in the Student Services Office are available to assist with non-curricular advising needs.

Health Services Administration:
Dr. Arif Ahmed 


Nonprofit Management:

Dr. Scott Helm

Dr. Brent Never 

Dr. David Renz 

Urban Administration:
Dr. Anne Williamson

Students in the Master of Science in Accounting meet with an advisor each semester prior to enrollment. Advising is provided by staff in the Bloch Student Services Office by appointment. Please call 816-235-2215 to schedule an appointment.

School of Biological Sciences, click here

Undergraduate degrees offered through the school:

  • B.S. in biology
  • B.S. in biology with cellular and molecular basis of health and disease (pre-med)
  • B.S. in biology with bioinformatics emphasis
  • B.S. in biology with biotechnology emphasis
  • B.S. in biology with pre-dental concentration
  • B.S. in medical technology
  • B.A. in biology

Undergraduate students enrolled in biological sciences programs are required to participate in registration advising each semester to have their advising hold released allowing them to register for classes. Several options exist for students to take care of this including individual appointments, walk-in advising, and  in-person or online schedule proposal submissions through Blackboard. 


Appointments can be scheduled by calling the advising office at 816-235-2580 or by coming to room B013 on the lower level  in the Biological Science Building. Before an appointment, students should review their plan of study and the SBS Undergraduate Programs Handbook, and then prepare a tentative schedule for the adviser’s approval.


Graduate students also need their adviser’s signature before registering.

Graduate degrees offered through the school:

  • Interdisciplinary Ph.D.
  • M.S. in cellular and molecular biology
  • M.A. in biology

Graduate students who do not have a permanent adviser must contact the school’s graduate programs office, room 114, Biological Science Building, 816-235-1330, for more information.

School of Computing and Engineering, click here

DST Student Services Center

336 Flarsheim Hall

All undergraduate students in the School of Computing and Engineering are advised by staff academic advisors located in the DST Student Services Center. Many graduate students and some undergraduate students in SCE will meet with a faculty advisor, however all SCE students must be cleared to register by an advisor each semester. Please see your academic advisor for questions.

Scheduling Advising Appointments

Students can schedule appointments with their academic advisor by logging into UMKC Connect, selecting "My Success Network", and signing up for an available timeslot. Or they can call 816-235-2399 to schedule an appointment.

Walk-in Appointments are available Tuesdays 9:30-11:30am, and Wednesdays 1:30-3:30pm.

Graduate students must schedule appointments with their faculty advisors individually. Please contact your academic advisor or th eprogram coordinator in your department for questions.


Civil & Mechanical Engineering Department

352 Flarsheim Hall
Phone: 816-235-5550
Fax: 816-235-1260

Computer Science and Electrical & Computer Engineering Department

546 Flarsheim Hall
Phone: 816-235-1193
Fax: 816-235-5159 

Degree options in Civil and Mechanical Engineering (CME)

  • B.S. in Civil Engineering
  • B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
  • M.S. in Civil Engineering
  • M.S. in Mechanical Engineering

Degree options in Computer Science and Electrical & Computer Engineering (CSEE)

  • B.A. in Computer Science
  • B.S. in Computer Science
  • Bachelor of Information Technology
  • B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • M.S. in Computer Science
  • M.S. in Electrical Engineering

Conservatory of Music and Dance, click here

General admissions requirements:

To be admitted as an undergraduate or graduate music major, an audition is required. Audition requests must be received no later than Feb. 1 for the final audition day. See the Web site for details:

Student advising:

All undergraduate and graduate students in the Conservatory are required to meet with their adviser before registering. Call 816-235-2900 for an appointment.

Matriculation exam:

All newly admitted graduate students must take the matriculation exam in music history and theory. The exam will be held from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. on June 2, July 14 and Aug. 11. Master’s and doctoral comprehensive exams master’s comprehensive exams will be given during the weeks of June 23-27 and Sept. 22-26. Notify the Associate Dean’s Office prior to May 2 if you plan to take the exams in the summer semester and Aug. 22 if you plan to take the exams in September. Doctoral comprehensive exams in music theory and music history will be given on two consecutive Saturdays. The theory and history exam dates are Sept. 27 and Oct. 4. Notify the Associate Dean’s Office prior to Aug. 22 if you plan to take the exams in the fall semester.

Undergraduate advising:


Graduate advising:


Associate dean for Academic Affairs:


Student services coordinators:

Wayne Nagy, Helen Perry

School of Dentistry, click here

Registration information will be provided via e-mail to each dental, dental hygiene and graduate dental student. Students outside of the School of Dentistry must obtain permission to register in any School of Dentistry course from the associate dean for academic affairs and the dental school’s registrar.

Dean’s Office
650 E. 25th St., room 440
Phone: 816-235-2010

Phone: 816-235-2081

Student Programs
Phone: 816-235-2080


The School of Dentistry maintains a policy of mandatory attendance for all scheduled classroom, laboratory and clinical courses.


Any student desiring to withdraw from their dental program must submit their request to withdraw in writing to the associate dean for academic affairs. Prior to final approval to withdraw, students must obtain clearance through each designated department.

Degrees offered through this school:

  • B.S. in Dental Hygiene
  • Doctor of Dental Surgery
  • M.S. in Dental Hygiene Education
  • M.S. in Oral Biology
  • Interdisciplinary Ph.D.

Graduate certificates:

  • Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD)
  • Endodontics
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
  • Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
  • Periodontics

School of Education, click here

Teacher education:

Undergraduate education majors are required to meet with an academic adviser in Education Student Services prior to registering each semester. Students must apply and be admitted into the professional Teacher Education program.  More information can be found on the School of Education website.

Graduate students:

Graduate students must have an approved program of study on file prior to completing the final 15 credit hours of their degree program. Degree program outlines are available in the Education Student Services Office. Departmental faculty advise all graduate students. Most CPCE courses are restricted to CPCE majors. Please contact CPCE at 816-235-2722 for exceptions. Programs in counseling psychology, counselor education and educational administration require a special application packet.


Graduate students who are conditionally admitted must have met with a faculty adviser to determine the first four classes to complete to remove themselves from probationary status.


Non-education majors on probation are not allowed to enroll in education courses.


129 Education Building

Meghan Dooley
Phone: 816-235-2474

Spencer Orr
Phone: 816-235-2621


School of Education
Student Services Office
129 Education Building
Phone: 816-235-2234

Graduate faculty advising:

Counseling and Educational Psychology
Phone: 816-235-2722

Teacher Education & Curriculum Studies
Phone: 816-235-2245

Educational Leadership, Policy and Foundations
Phone: 816-235-2716

School of Graduate Studies, click here

300F Administrative Center
Phone: 816-235-1161

Graduate students are expected to become familiar with the general graduate academic regulations in the UMKC Graduate Catalog, When specific degree requirements are more stringent than the general regulations, the degree-specific regulations take precedence. When all course requirements have been met, graduate students must be continuously enrolled each fall and winter semester. The continuous enrollment requirement may be met by enrolling in Grad. 5899 continuous graduate enrollment and paying the equivalent of one graduate credit hour fee for no academic credit. Information on how to enroll in Grad. 5899 is available at the Registration Office.

Graduate students who plan to graduate during this term must take the following steps:

  • Check the term deadlines for completing the various degree requirements that are printed in the calendar in the academic calendar.
  • File an application to graduate with your department by the term deadline printed in the academic calendar.
  • If a thesis or dissertation requirement is included in the student’s program, the degree candidate must submit the final draft of the thesis or dissertation to all members of his or her supervisory committee at least eight weeks prior to the end of the term.
  • Submit the thesis or dissertation, with preliminary approval from the degree candidate’s supervisory committee, to the School of Graduate Studies for certification of acceptance by the term deadline printed in the calendar section of this booklet. The School of Graduate Studies holds workshops on formatting theses and dissertations near the beginning of each term. For information on workshop times, dates and locations or for more information about the approval process, contact the School of Graduate Studies Office at 816-235-1161.

Repeated graduate credit courses

If approved by their degree program’s principal graduate adviser, graduate students may repeat a course once to improve grade point average or satisfy degree requirements. Graduate students should submit a course repeat form to the Registration Office no later than the fourth week of the term. Students seeking graduate degrees are limited to repeating no more than 20 percent of the course hours applicable toward their degrees.

School of Law, click here

Complete registration information can be found online at:

Students must obtain permission to register in any law classes from the associate dean and the registrar of the Law School.

Dean’s Office
1-200 Law School
Phone: 816-235-1644

Phone: 816-235-1688

Student Programs
Phone: 816-235-1654

Withdrawal from classes:

A student enrolled in a course cannot unilaterally withdraw from it but must secure permission from the associate dean to do so, and must follow prescribed withdrawal procedures. A student who is not in good standing in the course at the time of withdrawal (has earned a grade of 'F' at that point) will receive a grade of 'F' for the course.

School of Medicine, click here

Complete information on the School of Medicine’s curriculum and evaluation policies can be found at and

Students enrolled in medicine or BMS courses must be previously admitted to the School of Medicine’s combined B.A./M.D. program or the M.D. degree program. All students are required to meet with an adviser prior to registration.

Year 1 and 2 Office
Phone: 816-235-1344

Student Affairs Office (Hospital Hill)
Phone: 816-235-1900

Withdrawal from classes

UMKC School of Medicine students enrolled in a course can not unilaterally withdraw, but must first secure advice from an adviser and permission from the Council on Curriculum.

School of Nursing and Health Studies, click here

B.H.S. Students

BHS students should review their degree audit and must meet with their academic adviser prior to registering for classes. Come prepared to your appointment with your specific course plan.

Pre-nursing (B.H.S.)

Pre-nursing students should review their degree audit and must meet with their academic adviser prior to registering for classes. Come prepared to your appointment with your specific course plan.

Pre-licensure B.S.N. students

BSN students should review their degree audit, their plan of study, the class schedule and be prepared with their specific course plan for the upcoming semester prior to their advising appointment. Students on probation must first meet with their faculty mentor prior to speaking to their academic adviser. All immunizations and required documentation must be on-file prior to registering.

R.N.-B.S.N. Students

RN-BSN students must adhere to their plan of study or else touch base with their academic adviser prior to registering for classes. All immunizations and required documentation must be on file
prior to registering.

Graduate students

All graduate students must adhere to their plan of study or touch base with an academic adviser prior to registering for classes should a student want to change their plan of study.

Academic advisers

Casey Bauer, Graduate Programs advisor
Phone: 816-235-1733

Corrina Beck, BHS program advisor (A-K)
Phone: 816-235-5788

Paola Fernandez, RN-BSN Program Director
Phone: 816-235-6277

Emily Jefferies, BSN program (PL & AT) advisor (PL: P-Z and all AT students)
Phone: 816-235-1710

Jennifer Lyles, BHS program advisor (L-Z)
Phone: 816-235-6252

Jacob Smallegan, BSN program (PL) advisor (PL: A-O)
Phone: 816-235-5768

Student services

Becky Boettcher
Phone: 816-235-1740

Katie Kelsheimer
Phone: 816-235-1700

School of Pharmacy, click here

Pharmacy Office of Student Affairs

1219 Health Sciences Building
2464 Charlotte
Kansas City, MO 64108


The School of Pharmacy Student Affairs Office works closely with students both prior to entry, throughout the admission process, and while enrolled in the University and/or Doctor of Pharmacy Pharm.D. program.  Early Assurance and pre-pharmacy students are required to schedule an appointment with an adviser in the Pharmacy Office of Student Affairs (OSA) for enrollment release prior to each term of enrollment. Pharm.D. students on probation or on contract must meet with their faculty adviser prior to registering each term. Pharm.D. students can find specific registration information, curricular requirements and important announcements through the OSA Blackboard page. Students who do not complete required courses or who receive a grade below C must make an appointment with an adviser in the Pharmacy OSA before enrolling in subsequent terms of enrollment. Pharmacy graduate students must meet with their major faculty adviser to plan a program of study and faculty committee. A program of study must be filed with the Graduate Programs Committee within the first academic year of graduate study.

The OSA staff are knowledge about program requirements and enrollment, academic preparation resources and assistance, admission prerequisites and student organizations, as well as other campus student services.  Both current and prospective students are encouraged to contact any one of the OSA staff members for assistance.  Please visit the School of Pharmacy website for more information.

Pharmacy Student Affairs Staff

Academic Adviser – Viktoria Phillips
Recruitment and Admissions Coordinator – Steve McDonald
Administrative Assistant - Mary Swick
Director - Shelly Janasz
Senior Student Recruitment Specialist - Amanda Hoelting


University College, click here

Atterbury Student Success Center
Email: University College

University College Students

University College is a portal of entry with relevant support services for our exploratory/undeclared students. Our mission is to offer every exploratory student the opportunity for success through the engagement with faculty and staff, the development of educational plans, the clarification of career and life goals, and the appreciation of the value of the core skills developed through UMKC’s general education.

UCollege has full-time professional advisors to help direct and facilitate a student's path to declaring a major. We believe this is an intentional and thoughtful process which should take place early on in a student's academic career. Our goal is initiate the student's responsibility in the decision and to provide the needed resources and information to make an informed, timely decision.

Advising Appointments

Call 816-235-UNIV(8648) or schedule an appointment through UMKC Connect. We are located on the upper floor of the Student Success Center and would be glad to talk about major exploration and your path to success.

UCollege Staff

Kim McNeley
Associate Vice Provost
Email: Dr. Kim McNeley

Susi Krulewich
Retention Coordinator/Academic Advisor
Email: Susi Krulewich

Kim Leibold
Retention Coordinator/Academic Advisor
Email: Kim Leibold

Annie Carr
Career Development Specialist
Email: Dr. Andrea Carr

Benjamin Howard-Williams
Undergraduate Curriculum and Articulation Specialist
Email: Benjamin Howard-Williams

Janolyn Schleicher
Coordinator, Electronic Advising Support/Office Support
Email: Janolyn Schleicher

PACE - Program for Adult College Education: Working Adults and Nontraditional Degree Programs

For detailed information on PACE, click here
104 in Scofield Hall

The Program for Adult College Education (PACE) provides an alternative for students who have difficulty pursuing a bachelor’s degree due to employment responsibilities, family or other obligations. PACE provides a nontraditional method for earning a bachelor’s degree through courses offered in a special weeknight, weekend and independent study format. PACE courses are normally presented in 12-hour blocks, arranged by theme or issue. There are also numerous Internet, Web-assisted and second eight-week courses.

Each 12-hour block includes a weeknight class that meets once a week all semester, a weekend course that meets four weekends during a semester (once a month), and a modified independent study that is arranged by the instructors of the block. A number of courses may be offered using distance education technology either Web assisted or broadcast over cable television via UM Instructional Video Network.

The bachelor of liberal arts (B.L.A.) is the most popular degree offered through PACE. This degree program allows enhanced flexibility in selection of academic areas of study for those whose aspirations are not served by a traditional major. The B.L.A. with a concentration area or minor is designed to allow all the advantages of a liberal arts education while providing an indication of a student’s special area of interest. Typically, 18 credit hours are required in related interdisciplinary fields to qualify for a concentration. Concentrations are informal academic designations and are not reflected on official transcripts. Minors earned in conjunction with the B.L.A. are reflected on official transcripts. However, typically it is necessary for students pursuing a minor to take a required course outside of the PACE curriculum. Students should refer to the associated departmental requirements in the UMKC undergraduate catalog and consult a PACE adviser.

While there is no major associated with the B.L.A., students can meet B.A./B.S. general degree requirements through the PACE program. In conjunction with designated disciplines, students can incorporate the PACE curriculum while pursuing a major or minor. Degrees associated with an academic unit’s evening division are recommended for this process. PACE also participates in certificate programs such as film studies, family studies, computer and information technology and gerontology. The PACE program provides students the ability to achieve rigorous academic preparation for graduate and professional degree programs.

The B.L.A. is recognized as an appropriate degree for a number of graduate/professional programs at UMKC and elsewhere. Many PACE students continue their studies in graduate degree programs.

PACE students may call 816-235-1588 or stop by room 108 in Scofield Hall for additional information or advising.


Continuing Education for each school in UMKC

Special Courses


Class Schedules

Academic Calendar

Registration Dates



Major Maps

Transferring into the GECC



Contact Information

Registration and Records

Phone: 816-235-1125
Fax: 816-235-5513
Follow umkcregistrar on Twitter Like UMKC Registrar on Facebook