GI Bill™ and Post 9/11 GI Bill

Are you eligible for benefits through the GI Bill™ or Post 9/11 GI Bill? Get information about how to access your benefits here.

UMKC Veterans Contact

Debbie Kacirek

UMKC VA Certifying Official
Registration and Records

Administrative Center, 5115 Oak Street, Room 115
Phone: 816-235-1121
Fax: 816-235-5513
Registration and Records

Third Party Billing

Mike Flanagan
Cashiers Office
Cashiers Office

MO Returning Heroes Act Account Credit

Tim Gormly
Financial Aid Coordinator
Financial Aid and Scholarships

Using GI Bill™ Benefits

Follow these steps to use your GI Bill benefits at UMKC. If you have questions about any part of the process, make sure to contact us so we can help you out!

  1. Apply for Admission to UMKC
  2. Create an account through the eBenefits portal. You can use eBenefits to apply for education benefits, view your status, access VA documents and set-up your Direct Deposit account information. If you are unsure of your benefits chapter, first contact the VA. You can do so by selecting "Submit a Question" on the GI Bill Website or by calling the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
  3. Apply online for benefits at (you can also access this site through your eBenefits portal). Provide the VA Certifying Official with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility that you will receive from the VA OR print an Entitlement Information page from eBenefits that shows your benefit level and entitlement eligibility. Copies can be sent by fax, scanned and emailed or dropped off in person at Registration and Records located in Room 115 of the Administrative Center at 5115 Oak Street. Early submission of these forms can help prevent payment delays.
  4. If you previously attended another school and received education benefits you will need to complete a Change of Program or Place form. If you are using Ch. 33, 30 or 1606, complete form 22-1995; if you are using Ch. 35 complete form 22-5495. Submit a copy of the confirmation page to the UMKC Certifying Official.
  5. If you are using Ch. 30 or Ch. 1606, you must verify your enrollment at the end of each month via WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).
  6. The VA requires that only degree applicable courses are certified for GI Bill benefits. Classes that are not degree applicable cannot be certified. Students utilizing GI Bill benefits at UMKC are required to fill out and submit an Enrollment Data Form (EDF) to the VA Certifying Official each semester they wish to utilize GI Bill benefits.
    • Enroll in classes
      • At the end of the first week of the semester, UMKC will certify your enrollment to the Veterans Administration. The VA normally processes claims within 8-12 weeks.
    • Make sure to check your UMKC e-mail often, in case the UMKC VA certifying official needs additional information from you in order to process your certification for GI Bill benefits.
    • Additionally, the Registration Quick Guide is a great tool for all students and contains helpful information about attending UMKC.

Post 9/11 GI Bill™

The Post-9/11 GI Bill became effective for training on or after Aug. 1, 2009.

In order to utilize the Post 9/11 GI Bill, also known as Ch. 33, at UMKC you need to provide the VA Certifying Official a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that the Veterans Administration will provide you once they have approved you are eligible for the Ch. 33 benefit. If you do not have a copy of your COE you can provide a printout of the on-line application you filled out for the benefit which can be access via the eBenefits portal under apply for Benefits. Once you receive your COE from the VA you must provide a copy to the Certifying Official.

Once your application or COE is on file with the UMKC VA Certifying Official in the Registration and Records Office an indicator is added to your account alerting the Cashiers Office that all or a portion of your tuition and fees will be paid by the VA. This indicator also ensures that you will not be dropped from your classes due to non-payment for the current term.

Dependent on the percentage of tuition and fees that Ch. 33 is covering the student is responsible for any remaining balance not covered by the VA. Minimum monthly payments will need to be made on your student account in order to avoid late fees and/or finance charges on the portion of the bill the VA is not covering which could include but is not limited to parking permits, book store charges (including books), meal plans, etc. Once UMKC receives the funding for the portion of tuition and fees that the VA is covering any late fee and finance charges accrued on that amount will be removed by the Cashiers Office.

Questions about eligibility or benefits associated with Ch. 33 must be directed to the VA at 1-888-442-4551. Read a letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs to students (PDF) with information about the bill.

Learn more about the Post 9/11 GI Bill

GI Bill™ is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

More Information about GI Bill™ Benefits

The VA requires that only degree applicable courses are certified for GI Bill benefits. Classes that are not degree applicable cannot be certified. Students utilizing GI Bill benefits at UMKC are required to fill out and submit an enrollment data form to the VA Certifying Official each semester they wish to utilize GI Bill benefits. Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrollment.

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program may be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouse or children starting Aug. 1, 2009.

Learn how to apply for Transfer of Benefits (TEB)

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veteran’s Educational Assistance Act of 2008. UMKC has voluntarily entered into an open ended agreement with the VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the in-state tuition rate at UMKC. Visit the Yellow Ribbon Program website for the degree programs that qualify for this benefit for the current academic year. UMKC's participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program is outlined in the chart below.

UMKC participation in Yellow Ribbon Program
Academic Career Number of Students Max School Contribution Amount
(Per Student / Per Year)
Undergraduate Unlimited $10,000
Graduate Unlimited $10,000
School of Law Unlimited $99,000
School of Medicine Unlimited $99,000
School of Pharmacy Unlimited $2,500
School of Dentistry Unlimited $2,500

Applying for Yellow Ribbon benefits

In order to apply for these benefits you must:

  • Determine whether you are eligible for Yellow Ribbon Benefits. You are eligible if you:
    • Served in an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001 of at least 36 months
    • Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
    • Are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on an individual's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
  • Provide the UMKC VA certifying official with the Certificate of Eligibility that indicates you are Yellow Ribbon eligible along with your application.

You cannot be intending to participate in a study-abroad program.

You can also visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon website for additional information about this benefit.