Change or Declare Your Residency Status

In order to change your residency status or declare residency status in the State of Missouri, or for the Kansas Metro Rate, students must file a petition.

  • If you are a first time college student applying the semester following high school graduation, and graduated from a non-Missouri high school, you will be classified as a non-Missouri resident until proof of permanent Missouri residency is provided.
  • If you have previous records with UMKC as a non-Missouri resident, your residency will remain non-resident until you submit a petition and your petition is approved.
  • If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must be a resident of Missouri for the immediate past 12 consecutive months and must show proof of U.S. permanent residency for at least the immediate past 12 consecutive months (determined by the date "resident since" on your PR card).
  • You must submit an application to UMKC and must be admitted into the university before your petition will be reviewed.
  • The petition must be completed in accordance with the Student Residency Requirements set forth by the Coordinating Board of Higher Education.
  • Students are required to submit photocopies of necessary documents along with their petition.
  • The residency petition contains a list of suggested documents that students should submit in support of their petition.
  • The Residency Committee considers each petition carefully and will deny a petition if it does not comply with the Student Residency Requirements. It is important to remember that a student may not be granted residency solely on the basis of submitting a petition.
  • Familiarizing yourself with the Student Residency Requirements is highly recommended, prior to submitting a petition. For a printed copy of the above, please contact the Office of Admissions.
  • The Residency Committee receives many petitions every day, especially around deadline dates, and petitions are reviewed on a first-come; first-served basis. It can take up to four weeks to receive a response (possibly longer if submitted near the deadline).
Please note that a student must have lived in the state of Missouri or an eligible metro Kansas county for 12 months prior to the start of the term to be able to petition.

Residency Deadline Dates (For petition & all supporting documents)
Summer Semester May 1st
Fall Semester Aug 1st
Spring Semester Dec 1st

Petitions received after the above deadline dates will be reviewed for the following term.


Residency Rules and Requirements

Options for Students Not Eligible for Missouri Residency Status

The Kansas Rate:
  • If you are a Kansas resident, you may be eligible for the Kansas Rate.
  • Visit the Kansas Rate page to find out more.
The Heartland Rate:
  • If you are a resident of the states of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas or Wisconsin, you may be eligible for the Heartland Rate.
  • Visit the Heartland Rate page to find out more.
Other Financial Aid


Hearing or speech impaired individuals may contact Relay Missouri at (800) 735-2966 (TT) or (800) 735-2466 (Voice).


Residency Petition

Contact us


Phone: 816-235-1111