There are so many ways to make a difference. As an independent, nonprofit corporation serving as the official fund-raising and fund-management organization for the University of Missouri-Kansas City, the UMKC Foundation was established in 2009 to raise, invest and manage the charitable gifts on behalf of UMKC.
The people who work at the UMKC Foundation know it is a very special place where everyone plays a part in achieving the University's vision of becoming a model urban research university characterized by signature graduate and professional programs, a dynamic undergraduate population, a highly diverse faculty, staff and student body, and active engagement with its city and region.
Open Position Description
UMKC Foundation Executive Assistant
The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal
and external constituencies on matters pertaining to the UMKC Foundation
Board of Directors and is responsible for the general administration of
office management of the UMKC Foundation. The Executive Assistant
must enjoy working within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is
mission-driven, results-driven and community-oriented. The ideal individual
will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations,
with strong written and verbal communication, administrative and
organizational skills and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among
multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work
independently on projects, from conception to completion and must be able
to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and
confidential matters with discretion.
The Executive Assistant must enjoy working within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven and community-oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organizational skills and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Organizational Relationship: This position reports to
the President and supports the Foundation Leadership Team (President and two
Essential Duties: The Executive Assistant completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the President and Leadership Team including:
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President's office and internal departments, demonstrates leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President's office and the UMKC Foundation Board of Directors and various Committees and provides various support in planning and preparation for the meetings and representing the UMKC Foundation President by providing a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Works closely and effectively with the President and Leadership Team to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the President updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization and manages a variety of special projects for the Leadership Team, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting letters, personal correspondence and other tasks that facilitate the President's ability to effectively lead the Foundation.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs, handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Manages the office supporting functions so UMKC Foundation staff is able to perform their tasks and duties at highest levels, including maintaining office supplies and equipment.
- Manages an extremely active calendar of appointments, completes expense reports, composes and prepares correspondence that is sometimes confidential, arranges complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas and compiles documents for travel-related meetings.
- Manages the work-study program for the Foundation, ensuring students receive cross-training to perform exceptionally in multiple office environments.
- Coordinates staff coverage of office open hours.
- Assists with Foundation events and receptions by coordinating RSVPs, nametags and varying event support.
- Serves as the first impression for the Foundation office, greeting visitors in a friendly, welcoming manner and assisting with various visitor needs.
- Answers the telephone, transfers calls and handles office fax correspondence.
- Answers general questions from campus and community about UMKC Foundation and delegates follow up appropriately.
- Picks up mail daily and coordinates outgoing mailings.
Knowledge Required: To perform this job successfully, incumbent must have a high level of independence in accomplishing the responsibilities of the position. This includes:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret correspondence and documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquires and complaints.
- Ability to write business letters and other
- The ability to interact comfortably, tactfully
and effectively with varied internal and external constituencies is
- Incumbent interacts on behalf of the university with donors from all of the university's various constituencies. Must display a high level of professionalism, maturity and personal integrity and ability to understand, develop and sustain resilient and dynamic relationships with donors, colleagues and senior management.
Education and Experience: A bachelor's degree is required
as is the equivalent of one to three years of experience, preferably in higher
education (or a comparably complex organization). Previous experience
interacting with donors is preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is
experience with donor software is a plus.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Physical Demands:This position does not require unusual physical ability. Little physical
exertion is involved, although considerable pressures exist; ability to handle
tension and stress in a positive manner is required. No risks or discomforts are
imposed upon this position by the physical surroundings or job situation. Some
local travel by car is required.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. This is a non-smoking work environment. The work environment is located on the second floor level of a three-story building. Some evening work hours are required at various times throughout the year in particular supporting the UMKC Foundation's annual dinner.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience.
UMKC Foundation: The UMKC Foundation is a separate but
affiliated enterprise that is devoted to raising funds for the university
and for exercising fiduciary responsibility over endowments and other
philanthropic investments made to UMKC.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.