Writing Studio consultants will be available to assist students with papers and presentations 7 days per week to video conference via Zoom. Students can make virtual appointments using UMKC Connect. Students can also request an email session here, or drop-in via the Zoom meeting room during the following hours: Monday 9 a.m. – 10 p.m.; Tuesday-Thursday 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; and Saturday-Sunday 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. If you need help scheduling an appointment or have questions you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816.235.5010 or 816.235.1146 during business hours.
More information about making appointments can be found below. Please note that the Writing Studio has transitioned from TutorTrac to UMKC connect for scheduling appointments.
If this is your first time using our online services, please read our FAQ section to get started. Online services are available to UMKC students, faculty, and staff.
Onsite sessions are not available for the fall 2020 semester. Please see the "Zoom Session" section below to schedule an online session through UMKC Connect instead.
Email sessions offer you the convenience of having your paper reviewed without having to come on campus. Email sessions are scheduled for 50 minutes, and a Writing Studio consultant will give you both broad and specific commentary about the content of your paper. We'll focus on concerns related to expressing ideas and building arguments, such as structure, organization, flow, and thesis. We won't be proofreading for every misspelled word or misplaced comma, but we do want to help you become a better editor of your work so we'll be sure to point out recurring grammatical and punctuation issues that might cause some readers to stumble. We'll do this by giving you tips about how to identify and self-correct them in the future.
When UMKC classes are in session, you can expect to receive a response from a writing consultant within three business days. Submit your paper here (UMKC students only).
The Writing Studio offers online appointments through Zoom, a program that allows writers to meet with a consultant online.
Think about a Zoom appointment like an in person session in the Writing Studio—you should expect to spend that time talking with the consultant, giving your full attention to a conversation about your writing. You’ll also need to have your webcam ready to go so we can see you, which allows for better communication.
To schedule a Zoom session, first schedule your appointment using UMKC Connect. Click "Appointments" under "Home" in the top left corner.
When your appointment has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email from UMKC Connect. A writing consultant will follow up with an Outlook Calendar Invite that contains the link to click on to join them at the time of the appointment.
When it’s time for your appointment, you’ll access Zoom using the instructions below. If it’s your first time using Zoom, please log on a few minutes early to download the plug-in, try out the interface, and make sure your webcam and audio are working. Planning ahead/practicing the technology will allow for a better experience for you.
1. If you do not have the Zoom application downloaded, click here to reach the Zoom Download Center page. Click the "Download" button for the first option (Zoom Client for Meetings). When it asks for your company domain, type “umkc” in the text box.
2. Log in with your UMKC SSO and password.
3. Zoom will then download to your desktop. This should just take a few seconds.
4. Once the time has come for your appointment, you should receive an invitation to chat from your consultant. You should be able to see and hear video from the writing consultant you’re working with. Be sure to share your video and audio, too, so you can participate in a conversation with the writing consultant.
Share your video by clicking the Film icon on the left hand side of the Zoom interface and your audio by clicking on the “Connect to Audio” on the left hand side.
5. There’s also a chat function you can use if you and the consultant find that helpful. It’s especially useful as you’re getting started sharing audio and video.
6. As long as you emailed your draft to the Writing Studio, the writing consultant will have it and will “share” their screen. However, it may not be a bad idea to have your draft already pulled up on your computer.
If you have question about setting up an appointment over Zoom, please contact the Writing Studio at (816) 235-1146 or email@example.com
If you need help troubleshooting Zoom, please contact the UMKC Call Center at 816-235-2000.
Need feedback when the Writing Studio isn’t open? Whether you are a campus-based student or a web-based student, not everyone can make it to campus and use our tutoring services. UMKC has partnered with NetTutor to offer tutoring online seven days a week. NetTutor is currently being piloted in many UMKC courses and with a variety of subjects. You can communicate with live tutors via chat, audio, or audio/video connection. For more information and to access NetTutor, click here.
NOTE: If none of these session options meet your needs, please contact the Writing Studio at (816) 235-1146 during business hours to discuss alternatives.