Crime Prevention Tip
How to Safeguard Your Home
- Do not list your first name in the telephone book. Instead use initials.
- Make sure your answering machine message does not indicate that you are alone.
- Have deadbolts installed on all doors. Keep doors and windows locked.
- Install a peep-hole on your door and look before opening the door.
- Never open the door to strangers.
- Keep blinds or drapes closed to discourage "Peeping Toms." Do not hang lingerie outdoors.
- Verify the identity of any repairmen. Use the telephone number listed in the phone book, not on their identification.
- If someone comes to your door asking to use the telephone, make the call yourself. Don't invite them in.
- Don't hide a spare key under the door mat or under a flower pot. Thieves know all the good hiding places.
- Plant thorny bushes under all windows. Invest in motion sensor lights and a good security system.
- Get a barking dog or "beware of dog" signs.
- Always double check doors at night and lock all windows.
- Be sure your garage door can be secured. Do not leave it open when you are away; an empty garage broadcasts your absence.
|UMKC Police Department |
|(816) 235-1515 |
|Crime Prevention Unit |
Officer Jalonn Gordon
| ||(816) 235-1716|
UMKC Police Department
5005 Oak St.
Kansas City, MO 64110
Emergency Dial 9-1-1
Office hours: 24 hours per day
7 days per week
365 days per year.