Undergraduate Research @ UMKC

Archives          Clinics          Community Organizations

Taking Your Education to New Places

Labs          Studios          Galleries    


Dr. Jane Greer
106 Cockefair Hall
Department Contacts
Undergraduate Research Advisory Board
Undergraduate Research is a division of Academic Affairs

UR-Linked UR-Linked

Connect with us!


Applying for SEARCH & SUROP Grants

Decide on your research area of interest.
What grabs your attention? What are you curious about? What do you enjoy studying? What questions need to be answered? Choose a research topic in which you are genuinely interested and think you will enjoy investigating. Don't try to solve all the problems of the world, but choose something that is doable in one or two semesters of part-time research.

Find a faculty mentor.
If you know a faculty member with experience in your field of interest, you may contact the faculty member directly. If you don't have a faculty member in mind, browse the departmental contact list for suggestions. You can also browse the UR-Linked Database to find faculty who share your interests.

Complete a SEARCH or SUROP application.

SEARCH or SUROP grants are available for research projects undertaken during the academic year. SUROP grants (Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity) provide a tuition grant and cover research expenses for projects undertaken during the summer session.

Additional SEARCH & SUROP Grants Available to Students with Disabilities and Veterans.
Beginning Fall 2015, additional funding is available for students with disabilities and students who are veterans to participate in undergraduate research. While students with disabilities and students who are veterans are always welcome to apply for SEARCH and SUROP grants, we have additional funding from the National Science Foundation for a limited time. One of the goals of the National Science Foundation is to broaden participation in science (including social science), technology, engineering, and math, to include more people with disabilities and to veterans. A UMKC grant has funding left over and decided to use it to fund more undergraduate research projects. What this means for SEARCH and SUROP is that the funding can support more students and mentors. Students do not need to be STEM majors to be eligible for this additional funding.

If you are a student with a disability, or a student who is a veteran, the application process is the same as it is for all other students. We just ask that you answer a few more questions. The questions are not criteria on which you will be assessed. Their purpose is to help us determine whether we can use the NSF funding. With your application packet, include the SEARCH/SUROP Application Additional Questions.

Applications are available online or you can request one from Please submit an electronic version of the application and proposal (MS Word .doc or .docx file) to and a signed paper copy to Dr. Greer (106 Cockefair Hall). Be sure to follow the directions!

Application deadlines:

The application deadline for SEARCH is September 16, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. 

How to Write a SEARCH or SUROP Proposal

This video presentation describes how an undergraduate researcher, scholar, or artist can write an effective proposal for a SEARCH or SUROP grant.