The bachelor of arts degree in sociology requires a total of 30 credit hours in addition to the general requirements for a degree in the College of Arts and Sciences.
For students selecting the Sociology major, required courses are the following:
SOCIOL 101 Sociology: An Introduction 3
ANTHRO 103 Intro. to Cultural Anthropology 3
SOCIOL 361 Social Theory 3
SOCIOL 362 Methods of Sociological Research 3
SOCIOL 363* Intro. to Statistics 3
SOCIOL 404WI** Sociology Capstone: Senior Seminar 3
*MATH 235 is not a substitute for SOCIOL 363.
**All majors are required to take a writing intensive course within the Department of Sociology (SOCIOL 404WI fulfills this requirement).
Other degree requirements include:
- A 2.0 grade-point average in the 30 hours credited toward the major.
- A minimum grade of C- in all required courses (SOCIOL 101, ANTHRO 103, SOCIOL 361, SOCIOL 362, SOCIOL 363, and SOCIOL 404WI).
- Completion of the general degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- No more than three 1-credit courses of Special Topics in Sociology (SOCIOL 300__) may be used to fulfill Sociology elective requirements.
- Students may apply a maximum of 12 credit hours of Sociology courses from other schools toward the major (introductory sociology, cultural anthropology, and/or sociology electives).