Math Placement Exam
In order to qualify to take Math 109, 110, 120, 125, 206, 210, 216, 244 or Stat 235 at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, students must have one of the following:
- a minimum ALEKS Math Placement score
- a minimum ACT mathematics score (Math 109, 110 and 120 only)
- credit for the prerequisite course taken at UMKC, with a minimum grade of C- (minimum grade of B- required in Math 100)
- credit for a transfer or dual credit course that is equivalent to the UMKC prerequisite course, with a minimum grade of C- (minimum grade of B- required in equivalents to Math 100)
- AP/IB credit for a prerequisite course
NOTE: Financial Planning or other math-related courses offered outside the Department of Mathematics and Statistics do not fall under the above guidelines. Check with the appropriate department for prerequisite requirements for those courses.
Do You Need to Take the ALEKS Assessment?
|I will be starting at UMKC as a new freshman/transfer student OR I am a current student who needs to sign up for a Math course. >>>|
What Do You Need to Know?
Please click on the links to the left to familiarize yourself with ALEKS. You will login to take the assessment online through the 'Take ALEKS' link. There is a $22.50 fee that will be charged to your account upon taking the assessment. In case you are not satisfied with your score on the ALEKS assessment, you will be given the chance to take it up to five times within the subscription period without having to pay additional fees. In addition, there is a free online study/review package that you can use to review and prepare for the ALEKS assessment and your upcoming math course at UMKC. In most cases, your score on the ALEKS assessment will determine your math course placement.
*PLEASE NOTE: If you are under 18 years of age, you may take ALEKS with parent or guardian permission. See FAQs section.