Majors and Minors

What's your major? Learn more about declaring a major or minor, or what to do if you want to change your major.

UMKC has the tools to help you figure out what you want to study and the best path to your degree. 

UMKC Catalog

The catalog is the official record of degree program requirements. Students are expected to become thoroughly familiar with all academic regulations and requirements listed in the catalog for their program of study and comply with its provisions.

Review the Catalog

Additional majors and minors information

Need to change your major? Considering a double major? How can you add a minor? Find more information about majors and minors here.

Undergraduate and graduate students wishing to change their major, minor, emphasis area or certificate should consult with an academic advisor in the department for their new major, minor, emphasis area or certificate. The advisor must submit a Declaration of Major form bearing the student's signature directly to the Registration and Records Office to change a student's major. Students must declare a major by the time they complete 60 credit hours.

Declaration of Major form (PDF)

Multiple (double or triple) majors may be earned when a student completes two or more full majors, generally within the 120 hours required for a single degree. The specific major requirements of each major must be fulfilled. The diploma will indicate all majors. If the two or more degree programs are administered by different academic units, the major requirements of each academic program must be fulfilled. The general education requirements must be fulfilled as specified by the department or academic unit responsible for the primary major only. The double or multiple major is only available in B.A./B.A. or B.S./B.S. combinations.

Multiple undergraduate degrees may be earned when a student completes all requirements for each degree and at least 12 credit hours of work beyond that required for the first degree for each additional degree. Students who earn multiple degrees will receive diplomas simultaneously. If the degree programs are administered by different academic units, the general degree requirements and major requirements of all academic units must be completed.

Minors are awarded in addition to a student's declared major at the time of graduation (minors cannot be awarded separately). There is no limit to the number of minors a student may earn, provided they complete all of the necessary coursework for each minor. A minor is typically 18 credit hours, 9 of which are junior/senior level classes. See the undergraduate catalog for specific requirements for each minor.

Minors do not appear on diplomas but do appear on transcripts.

Graduate certificate programs are administered through the School of Graduate Studies in conjunction with the academic unit. They can be awarded with a graduate degree or separately. See the graduate catalog for specific requirements for each certificate program.

Graduate certificates are printed separately from diplomas and appear on transcripts.

Undergraduate certificates are currently not available.