Transfer Credit

UMKC accepts credit in transfer from other universities, as well as credit from approved tests. Review the appropriate information to find out more about getting credit at UMKC.

Transfer Coursework

UMKC accepts credit in transfer from accredited institutions* of recognized standing, both public and private. Your GPA does not transfer to UMKC unless you are transferring from another University of Missouri school. Transfer work will not be posted to your UMKC academic record until we have received official transcripts directly from the transferring school or in a sealed envelope. Transfer work is only posted for students working toward their first bachelor's degree.

Transfer and Test Credit Options

Are you an international student who wants to transfer credit?

Want to learn more about how test scores can translate to credit for you?

Want to know more about how your courses will transfer to UMKC?

Transfer Credit Quick Facts

All undergraduate college coursework attempted at accredited institutions* will be recorded on the UMKC transcript of students seeking an undergraduate degree, regardless of whether or not it is applicable to a UMKC degree. Credit accepted from another institution may or may not be applicable to specific degree programs. The University reserves the right to make the decision regarding applicability.

*The University of Missouri - Kansas City accepts transfer work from institutions that are accredited by what was formerly referred to as a Regional Accrediting agency per the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), specifically:

  • Courses that are remedial, preparatory or non-college-level will not be added to the total hours or used to satisfy degree requirements. The Registrar's Office will refer to the transcript key or catalog of the sending institution in making a determination as to the level or purpose of the course in question.
  • Transferred courses will be considered upper-division (junior-senior level) and count toward the total number of upper-division hours required if they are earned at a four-year institution and designated by that institution's course numbering system as upper-division courses.
  • A transferred course will retain the original number of credit hours for which it was taken at the previous institution, even if the equivalent UMKC course is worth a different number of hours.
  • Courses transferred from institutions that award quarter hours will be converted into semester hours at the rate of 1/4 hour = 2/3 semester hour.
  • In general, courses with a grade of D or higher will receive full credit in transfer. For some degree programs, a course with a grade of D may not be used to satisfy specific requirements. A transfer student would be required to repeat a specified course on the same basis as a "native" UMKC student who earned a D in the equivalent course.
  • Coursework of any age will be accepted in transfer to satisfy general education requirements and electives. If transfer credit is more than 15 years old, or of a specific technical or scientific nature, students may be required to repeat courses that are part of a major or field concentration. Individual UMKC academic units may impose more restrictive coursework age requirements.
  • Non-University of Missouri System grades and grade points do not transfer, although the grades earned in transfer courses are printed on the transcript. An admission grade point average that considers all attempted coursework is computed at the time of application, and an overall GPA will be computed at any time a student applies for admission to a more selective program within the University. The UMKC transcript reflects the total number of accepted hours earned from all sources, but only calculates the UMKC/UM grade point average. Students transferring into UMKC with a certified core should see the appropriate School or College section of this catalog for requirements beyond the core to complete a specific baccalaureate degree.

What is an "official" transcript?

In order for your transfer credit to be posted to your UMKC academic record, we must receive an official transcript from each institution you have previously attended.


Official transcripts are those sent directly to an employer or another institution of higher education or to any third party on behalf of the student. If the student receives the transcript before the third party, it is no longer considered by us to be official.

Transcripts sent to UMKC are considered official if they are received in a sealed envelope by the Office of Admissions or sent electronically to the Office of Admissions through either Docufide or eScrip-Safe.