Nature of Award: Up to three $1,000 stipend awards distributed annually
Qualifying Criteria: Excellent faculty mentors of undergraduate researchers, scholars, and artists who:
- Promote successful completion and showcasing of students’ research, scholarly, or creative work.
- Commit to advancing students’ long-term professional development - throughout their journey from student to professional.
- Ensure that students master the content and skills of their discipline, including the ability to present their work at both internal and external venues.
- Direct and connect students to resources necessary to take full advantage of academic and professional opportunities and enable students by helping them to develop their own local and national networks. (from UM-Columbia UR Mentor Awards)
Nomination Process: Nominations for the Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Researchers, Scholars and Artists may come from current students or faculty colleagues. Nominations must include the following:
- A nomination letter (up to two pages, single-spaced type), which includes:
- Full name of nominee, as well as his or her current position and academic unit;
- A description of how the nominee supports and promotes undergraduate research, scholarship, and/or artistic achievements at UMKC with attention to the qualifying criteria listed above;
- Name and signature of nominator.
- Supporting letters from faculty colleagues and previous undergraduate mentees are welcomed and encouraged. Typical nomination packets include 2-5 supporting letters.
- A list of undergraduate mentees from the past five years and a list of their accomplishments (i.e. papers, presentations, current positions) is encouraged but not required.
Deadline for Submission of Nomination Materials:
March 1 annually. Send electronic nomination materials (a single PDF) to the Director of Undergraduate Research via email. More information regarding this award can be located here.