Get Started with Counseling
Roo Wellness offers group and individual counseling to UMKC students.
We provide the information, education and support needed to eliminate stigma and empower everyone to seek the support that they need to live their best life.
UMKC Counseling Services staff will work with clients to evaluate their medication needs and make referrals to appropriate campus or community resources.
Our clinical training program offers opportunities for students enrolled in masters or doctoral level clinical or counseling psychology programs.
How does it work?
What will Happen in Counseling?
- Your counselor will assist you with understanding your concern, clarifying treatment options and determining what will be most helpful to you as you move forward.
- Counselors can help you express thoughts and feelings, while also pointing out a different perspective you may not have considered.
- They may provide information or suggestions, but generally, they do not give direct advice or try to make decisions for you.
- Your counselor can assist you in defining appropriate goals.
The amount of effort you put into the counseling process will directly impact your level of satisfaction and success with the counseling process.
In order to receive treatment at our office students must be enrolled during the semester in which they are seeking services. For further eligibility requirements, please refer to our Scope of Services and Service Limitations (PDF).
- Initial Consultation - Free
- Individual and Couples Counseling - 8 free sessions and then $15 per session up to 12 sessions total each Academic Year (August 1 – July 31)
- Group Counseling and Workshops - Free and unlimited
- Brief Crisis Consultation - Free