The School of Biological Sciences offers a biology honors program for bachelor of science undergraduate students interested in pursuing rigorous preparation for advanced professional training and scientific careers. The program combines a requirement for high levels of academic achievement with hands-on undergraduate research with a faculty mentor. Biology honors students are included in all scholarly and social events of the School of Biological Sciences graduate program. Students are encouraged to apply by contacting the School of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Programs Office.
Freshman students may be accepted into the honors program if they are in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class and have a composite score greater than 1300 on the SAT, 1350 on the recentered SAT, or 30 on the ACT. Eligible students may also be accepted at the end of their freshman year or later (until the beginning of their junior year or 70 credit hours). Requirements for admission at the end of the freshman or sophomore year for UMKC students or transfer students include:
- A 3.5 minimum undergraduate GPA.
- A 3.5 undergraduate GPA in sciences/mathematics.
- Satisfactory progress to that point in the B.S. degree program, including completion (minimally) of CHEM 211 and CHEM 212R, MATH 210 or MATH 216, and BIOLOGY 108 and BIOLOGY 109 or equivalents, with grades of B or better.
- An interview to explore the student's interests and identify an appropriate faculty mentor.
Graduation with a B.S. in biology with honors will be noted on the official university transcript and records of those students who:
- Complete all of the B.S. degree requirements.
- Complete at least two semesters (4 credit hours total) of undergraduate honors research LIFE-SCI 499M with a grade of B or better.
- Maintain a 3.5 UM GPA; 3.5 science/mathematics UM GPA.
- Successfully complete a semester of honors seminar LIFE-SCI 490WI.
- Satisfactory completion of of an undergraduate (senior) research thesis.
Requirements for retention in the Biology Honors Program include the following:
- Students must maintain a 3.5 minimum UM cumulative GPA and a 3.5 minimum Math-Science GPA to be in good standing in the biology honors program.
- Should either the cumulative or Math-Science GPA drop below 3.5, but not below 3.2 in any given semester, the student will be retained in the biology honors program for an additional semester. The student must restore the GPA to the 3.5 minimum at the end of that semester. A student who has less than a 3.2 cumulative UM GPA at the end of any semester will be dropped from the biology honors program.
- Students must make satisfactory progress in the biology honors program, as determined by the SBS Academic Standards Committee, in order to be retained in the program.