Campus Facilities FAQ
How do I get a lightbulb replaced? Please call 816-235-1354. Report the light bulb room location, your name and a contact number.
How do I get a key for my work area?

A key request form must be completed and authorized by your department chairperson and sent to CFM Business Operations at General Services Building (GSB) 101.

Upon receipt of the key request form, a key will be issued within 24-48 hours. CFM Business Operations will notify recipient when the key is available or its status may be checked by calling 816-235-1354.

A receipt/responsibility signature and photo ID are required for key pickup. Keys not picked up within two weeks will be canceled.

How do I check the status of a service/request work order?

Please call CFM Business Operations at 816-235-1354.

What if I have facilities problems after 5 p.m.? For a prompt response after hours, please report all emergency facilities issues to the University Police at 816-235-1515.
How do I reserve conference rooms or classrooms?

To reserve a conference room in the Administrative Center, call 816-235-5982, or in the University Center, call 816-235-1416.

To reserve a classroom, call central scheduling at 816-235-1119.

How do I report that my work area temperature is hot/cold?

Please call CFM Business Operations at 816-235-1354.

Who do I contact to gain entry into my locked work area? Contact the University Police at 816-235-1515 (Volker campus) or 816-235-1818 (Hospital Hill).
Who do I contact to have my office rearranged or to schedule a move?

Please call CFM Business Operations at 816-235-1354.