Tax Information

Who has to file tax returns?

All international students and scholars who were present in the United States for any duration of time in the previous calendar year are required to file tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), regardless of whether or not you worked.

What if I didn't work or receive any income?

You are still obliged to file Form 8843 with the IRS, just for being present in the United States in the calendar year 2023.

Deadline for the 2023 tax filing season: April 15, 2024

Why file a tax return?

  • Stay tax compliant - Failing to file may impact the status of your current visa and make future U.S. visa applications difficult
  • Avoid penalties – If you miss the deadline you may face late filing penalties
  • You may be owed a tax refund – Last year, the average Federal refund received by eligible students was more than $1,000


Understanding the U.S. tax system and filing a tax return can be a confusing experience for any student. To make things easier for you, we have teamed up with Sprintax, an online tool specifically designed for international students and scholars.

We provide free Federal and 8843 filing, but if you are required to file a state tax return, you will be notified in the system and can choose to self-pay to file your state tax return.

Get started with Sprintax

  1. Click here to register with Sprintax
  2. Complete the online questionnaire.
  3. Your Sprintax discount code will be sent to your UMKC email account. Enter this code in the box on the “Review your order” page.
  4. Sprintax will prepare your tax return and check if you are due a refund.
  5. Print, sign and mail your documents to the IRS.

Documents you will need to prepare your taxes

  • Passport
  • Entry and exit dates for current and all past visits to the United States
  • Tax forms
    • W-2 – if you worked on-campus or for a U.S. employer, the W-2 reports your annual wages and amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck
    • 1042-S and/or 1099 – if you received a scholarship, fellowship grant or other award, you may receive this form, which typically comes from the university payroll department
  • Visa/immigration status information, including I-20 (for F-visa holders) or DS-2019 (J-visa holders)
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not have an ITIN, Sprintax can help you get one!
  • If you are using Sprintax for State tax return preparation only, you will need the federal tax return you already prepared

More information from Sprintax

Sprintax Instructions 2023 (PDF)

Sprintax Brochure 2023 (PDF)

Sprintax videos on YouTube

Sprintax blog


Other Preparation Services

There are several other private tax preparation services available, such as TurboTax and H&R Block, but they charge to file your taxes and may not be able to provide you with the correct forms as a non-resident. We do not recommend using these services unless you know you qualify to file as a resident.


The Internal Revue Services (IRS) is the tax collection agency for the United States


Have Questions?

If you have any questions at all about your taxes, from "Am I required to file taxes?" to "Can someone help me with Sprintax?", please direct your questions to the University of Missouri Nonresident Tax Office. You can email them directly at

DISCLAIMER: International Student Affairs Office (ISAO) and UMKC are not permitted to assist any student/scholar with any IRS tax form preparation or tax-related questions. The information provided on this page is provided for your benefit. Any questions or concerns should be directed to Sprintax, a certified tax preparer, or a local IRS field office.