We strive to make pursuing your degree as affordable as possible. Depending on where you live, you could qualify for tuition discounts from UMKC.

In-State Tuition and Tuition Discounts

Apply for In-State Residency

If you can provide proof of residency in Missouri or Kansas for the 12 months before the semester starts, you may submit an in-state residency status application form and the required documents, along with a $250 non-refundable processing fee. You must be enrolled for the term for which you are petitioning.

Apply for a residency rate

How Do We Determine Residency?

  • If you graduated or will graduate from a high school in Missouri and have a Missouri address, you’re a Missouri resident. Same goes for Kansas.
  • If you graduated or will graduate from a high school that's not in Missouri or Kansas, you are a nonresident, even if you or your parents own property in Missouri or Kansas.
  • If you have a previous record as a resident of a state other than Missouri or Kansas, you are considered a nonresident.
  • If you have lived in a state for less than 12 months before applying to UMKC, your residency will be your previous state of residence.
  • If you are under 21, your residency is determined by where your parents live unless you are an emancipated minor or prove your financial independence. Independent students are not claimed on their parents’ taxes and do not receive financial support from their parents. A student may become emancipated through marriage, formal court action, abandonment or positive action of alienation on the part of the student.
  • Students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are not eligible for residency.
  • If you are here on an F, J, M visa or on a B visa participating in recreational study, you are not eligible for in-state or discounted tuition rates.
  • Applications from holders of most other visa types, such as H visa, will be reviewed automatically for in-state or discounted tuition rates.
  • Missouri Department of Higher Education & Workforce Development Policies and Guidelines on Residency

Questions About Residency?

Please email us

More Ways to Pay for College