The university recognizes the distinct advantage of talented employees seeking job and career advancement within UMKC. Hiring internal employees allows UMKC to keep, recognize and reward talent within the organization. Creating internal opportunities for career advancement also enhances staff morale and productivity, maximizes efficiencies and saves time and money.
Navigating Your UMKC Career
Join us for a course entirely devoted to helping you create your career path at UMKC.
- Introduction to My Career Plan
- How to know if you are qualified for a position
- Resume Tricks and Tips
- Requirements to apply for a position at UMKC
- How to apply for a position at UMKC
- Interview techniques and preparation
- Helpful training and development courses
Resume/cover letter assistance
The UMKC Recruitment team offers resume and cover letter assistance to all employees. Set up a consultation with one of the recruiters by contacting the HR Service Center.
The purpose of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality inventory is to make the theory of psychological types described by C. G. Jung understandable and useful in people’s lives. The essence of the theory is that much seemingly random variation in the behavior is actually quite orderly and consistent, being due to basic differences in the ways individuals prefer to use their perception and judgment.
Standard (Step I) Assessments are $25 and are administered online.
Visit UMKC cashiers and collections in the Adminstration Center, Room 112 and pay the $25.00 fee (cash only).
Resources for managing your career
This learning path is aimed at any individual looking to proactively manage their career. It covers the necessary skills for getting and keeping your career on track in a business environment. This learning path also covers ways to work with and support your network, including the relationship with your supervisor. Finally, this learning path suggests strategies for making the most of your performance appraisal.
- Career Planning Channel
- Expert Insights on Career Planning
- Building Your Professional Network
- Building Rapport with Your Boss
- Expert Insights on Managing Up
- Self-Development Channel
Applying for an Internal Position
- Log in to myHR using your university SSO.
- Access the careers link under the “myCareer” tab.
You must meet several requirements for your application to be considered for any UMKC Staff position.
- List your complete work history (including significant volunteer experience) demonstrating your qualifications for the position for which you are applying.
- Provide education details for all education levels.
- List at least five references with contact information.
- Respond to all questions in the “Applicant Questionnaire” section.
- Attaching a resume is not a substitute for completing the application. Any application that does not have these sections completed in full will be considered incomplete.
Internal application requirements
- Applying to the job posting by providing the appropriate documentation in a timely manner
- Meeting or exceeding performance level standards
- Performing in their current job for a minimum of 6 months. If the vacant position is within the same department this requirement may differ.
- Notifying current supervisor if interest continues after an initial interview.
- Provide a two week transition before beginning new role if you are offered and accept a new position.