Transfer Credit

UMKC accepts credit transferred from regionally accredited institutions in the United States and Ministry of Education-approved institutions outside of the United States. Transfer work will not be posted to your UMKC academic record until official transcripts are received. Transfer work is only posted for students working toward their first bachelor’s degree.

Learn more about transfer credit

Undergraduate students who have graduated from high schools in countries where the language of instruction is not English may also receive foreign language credit for their native languages.

Evaluating transcripts for transfer credit

  • All undergraduate college coursework attempted at recognized institutions will be recorded on the UMKC transcript of students seeking an undergraduate degree, regardless of whether it is applicable to a UMKC degree. Credit accepted from another institution may or may not be applicable to specific degree programs. The university reserves the right to make the decision regarding applicability.
  • Remedial courses will not be added to the total hours or used to satisfy degree requirements. The Registrar’s Office will refer to the transcript key or catalog of the sending institution in making a determination as to the level or purpose of the course in question.
  • Transferred courses will be considered upper-division (junior-senior level) and count toward the total number of upper-division hours required if they are earned at a four-year institution and designated by that institution’s course numbering system as upper-division courses.
  • A course transferred from an accredited U.S. institution will retain the original number of credit hours for which it was taken at the previous institution, even if the equivalent UMKC course is worth a different number of hours.
  • A course transferred from a recognized international institution will be converted by ISAO staff into U.S.-based Carnegie Units.
  • In general, courses with a grade of D or higher will receive full credit in transfer.
  • For some degree programs, a course with a grade of D may not be used to satisfy specific requirements. A transfer student would be required to repeat a specified course on the same basis as a domestic UMKC student who earned a D in the equivalent course.
  • Coursework of any age will be accepted in transfer to satisfy general education requirements and electives. If transfer credit is more than 15 years old, or of a specific technical or scientific nature, students may be required to repeat courses that are part of a major or field concentration. Individual UMKC academic units may impose more restrictive coursework age requirements.