GI Bill® and Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Are you eligible for benefits through the GI Bill® or Post 9/11 GI Bill®? Get information about how to access your benefits here.

Using GI Bill® Benefits

Follow these steps to use your GI Bill® benefits at UMKC. If you have questions about any part of the process, make sure to contact us so we can help you out!

  1. Apply for Admission to UMKC.
  2. Create an account through the eBenefits portal. You can use eBenefits to apply for education benefits, view your status, access VA documents and set-up your Direct Deposit account information. If you are unsure of your benefits chapter, contact the VA. You can do so by selecting "Submit a Question" on the GI Bill® Website or call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
  3. Apply online for VA Education benefits at You can also access this site through your eBenefits portal.
    • For students using Chapter 35, please provide a Certificate of Eligibility to the UMKC VA Certifying Official via the Secure Document Upload feature on your UMKC Pathway account.
  4. For Chapters 30, 1606, and 33, you must verify your enrollment at the end of each month.
    • If you are using Ch. 30 or Ch. 1606, you must verify your enrollment at the end of each month via WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).
    • If you are using Ch. 33, the VA will send you a text message to the number you provided when you applied for the CH. 33 benefit. You can also verify your enrollment via the GI Bill Hotline (1-888-442-4551) or by visiting the Ask VA portal website.
  5. The VA requires that only degree applicable courses are certified for GI Bill® benefits. Classes that are not degree-applicable cannot be certified. Students utilizing GI Bill® benefits at UMKC are required to fill out and submit an Enrollment Certification Form (ECF) to the VA Certifying Official each semester they wish to utilize GI Bill® benefits.
    • Enroll in classes
      • Once UMKC receives your Enrollment Certification Form (ECF), we will certify your enrollment for the term indicated to the Veterans Administration. Students who are eligible for the housing allowance and book stipend should receive those payments within 30 days of enrollment certification. Once the semester starts, UMKC will amend your enrollment certification and report the tuition and fees for payment. 
    • Make sure to check your UMKC e-mail often, in case the UMKC VA certifying official needs additional information from you to process your certification for GI Bill® benefits.

Post 9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® became effective for training on or after Aug. 1, 2009.

Once your ECF is on file with the UMKC VA Certifying Official in the Student Veteran Support Services office an indicator is added to your account alerting the Cashier's Office that all or a portion of your tuition and fees will be paid by the VA. This indicator also ensures that you will not be dropped from your classes due to non-payment for the current term.

Depending on the percentage of tuition and fees covered by the VA and Ch. 33, you are responsible for any remaining balance. Minimum monthly payments need to be made on your student account to avoid late fees and/or finance charges on the uncovered portion of the bill. This could include, but is not limited to, parking permits, bookstore charges (including books), meal plans, etc. Once UMKC receives funding for tuition and fees covered by the VA, any late fees and finance charges associated with the amount covered by the VA will be removed by the Cashier's Office.

Questions about eligibility or benefits associated with Ch. 33 must be directed to the VA at 1-888-442-4551. Read a letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs to students (PDF) with information about the bill.

Learn more about the Post 9/11 GI Bill®

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

More Information about GI Bill® Benefits

The VA requires that only degree applicable courses are certified for GI Bill benefits. Classes that are not degree applicable cannot be certified. Students utilizing GI Bill benefits at UMKC are required to fill out and submit an enrollment data form to the VA Certifying Official each semester they wish to utilize GI Bill benefits. Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their military service prior to enrollment.

  • VA Enrollment Certification Request Form (PDF)
    • The VA Enrollment Certification Request Form is required for each semester you wish to use benefits. This form allows UMKC to contact the VA, State TA, and Fed TA on your behalf in regards to receiving Education Benefits.
  • Parent School Form for GI Bill (PDF)
    • If you are attending another school and wish to use Education Benefits at both institutions, a Parent School Form will need to be filled out, allowing UMKC to approve other institutions to certify your benefits to the VA, or vice versa.
  • Missouri Returning Heroes Act Form (PDF)
    • Missouri Returning Heroes Act form is required for each semester you wish to use the benefit.
  • Secure Document Upload Instructions
    • All education benefit forms and supporting documents must be uploaded through your Pathway account to ensure proper security. When submitting the documents, you will receive a "Success!" message on the screen once it has finished uploading.

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program may be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouse or children starting Aug. 1, 2009.

Learn how to apply for Transfer of Benefits (TEB)

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veteran’s Educational Assistance Act of 2008. UMKC has voluntarily entered into an open-ended agreement with the VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the in-state tuition rate at UMKC. Visit the Yellow Ribbon Program website for the degree programs that qualify for this benefit in the current academic year. UMKC's participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program is outlined in the chart below.

UMKC participation in Yellow Ribbon Program
Academic Career Number of Students Max School Contribution Amount
(Per Student / Per Year)
Undergraduate Unlimited $10,000
Graduate Unlimited $10,000
School of Law Unlimited $99,000
School of Medicine Unlimited $99,000
School of Pharmacy Unlimited $2,500
School of Dentistry Unlimited $2,500

Applying for Yellow Ribbon benefits

In order to apply for these benefits you must:

  • Determine whether you are eligible for Yellow Ribbon Benefits. You are eligible if you:
    • Served in an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001 of at least 36 months
    • Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
    • Are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on an individual's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
  • Provide the UMKC VA certifying official with the Certificate of Eligibility that indicates you are Yellow Ribbon eligible along with your application.

You cannot be intending to participate in a study-abroad program.

You can also visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon website for additional information about this benefit.